Grey’s Anatomy Alum, Sara Ramirez, Lands New Role in Madam Secretary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

If you were of the millions that fell in love with Dr. Callie Torres, you’re in for a treat this November! Sara Ramirez has just landed her first major post-Grey’s Anatomy role on television. Her new gig? Kat Sandoval, a political strategist, on the hit show Madam Secretary. 

The news follows closely behind the departure of Bebe Neuwirth, an original member of the cast who played the chief of staff, Nadine Tolliver. 

“We’re very excited that Sara is joining the cast,” says show creator Barbara Hall. “She brings a fresh perspective and a fun, energetic quality to the State Department staff.” 

Image courtesy of CBS

“From the moment she walked on set with her talent, intellect, and spirit, she became part of the family,” says executive producer Lori McCreary. 

Ramirez exited Grey’s Anatomy in the season 12 finale in 2016 after playing everyone’s favorite orthopedic surgeon for over 200 episodes. She is currently the voice of Queen Miranda on Disney’s Sofia the First, and has won a Tony award for her work in Spamalot. 

Make sure to tune into Madam Secretary on CBS at 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 19 to catch Sara Ramirez back in action. And if you need to binge watch and catch up, Madam Secretary is available for streaming on Netflix. 

Jordyn Rowland

Murray State '19

Jordyn is a public relations major and film studies minor at Murray State University, where she has been for three years as an undergraduate student. She is an avid watcher of anything created by Shonda Rhimes, but her favorite is by far Grey's Anatomy. She enjoys traveling... a lot. Her favorite places so far are Los Angeles and Berlin. She really loves her dog and would adopt 50 more if she wasn't allergic. Jordyn's plans include running her own TV show and trying every drink on the menu (including the hidden one!) from Starbucks.