This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

I don’t know about you all, but the college student budget is seriously cramping my expensive taste. I love spending money on clothes, but I’ve learned that there are a few pieces that you can splurge on and then wear over and over again. I’m all for spending money on good quality clothes that are classic enough to never go out of style. This way you can wear them over and over again and still be a little fall fashionista.

Trench coats

Photo courtesy of Alberto Bobbera

These are making a huge comeback. My mom used to wear one back when I was in middle school, and I used to make fun of her by telling her that she looked like a spy (which she did, but a classy one!). I have seen these popping up in quite a few stores that normally would not carry them. If you’re looking for one, check out Abercrombie & Fitch, Marine Layer, Lilly Pulitzer, and J Crew. They come in classic tan or more fun colors like mint green. Though some of these might be expensive, you can pair it with literally anything, so I call it an investment.

Tortoise shell earrings

I am a Pinterest fanatic and one thing that keeps coming up on my feed is tortoise shell earrings. These can add a classic yet modern touch to any outfit. They come in many different shapes, sizes, metals, and colors. They’re the perfect earrings for a fall wedding or just to dress up a t-shirt and jeans. Some of my favorites are from BaubleBar and Urban Outfitters.

Loafers/Mules

Though once considered the shoe of old men, the loafer is a full on fall classic, especially in colors like light brown or black. I usually just wear mine with a short-sleeved button down and jeans, and I feel like they dress up any outfit. I get TONS of compliments on my mules from the brand TOMS, my loafers from Michael Kors (that I got 4 years ago!), and my black mules from Target (that I got on sale for $7).

Turtlenecks

Modest is hottest as I always say! Lol, but seriously, turtlenecks can be such a way to elevate a an otherwise humdrum outfit. Though once (and probably still) a favorite of moms and grandmas alike, let’s not count them out altogether. One of my favorite ways to wear them is with a denim skirt and tights or under a suede or velvet dress to give off some 90’s vibes. I got a plain gray turtleneck from J Crew Factory for under $20 and it will continue to be a classic in my fall and winter wardrobe.

Neck scarves

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

I just bought one of these from Madewell and it is a daily go-to. I’ll wear it as a headband some days and around my neck other days. I’ve also seen a lot of famous Instagrammers wear this scarf ever since I got it. I know, I know, I’m such a trendsetter. They definitely all copied me.  Whenever I feel like my outfit just needs a little boost, I’ll just throw on this baby, and it always completes the look. Madewell has many different colors of this classic ascot, so check them out and find the one that you like best!

I hope that you’ve enjoyed my compilation of fall fashion staples and will try them out for yourselves. I definitely recommend continuing to expand your collection of quality, classic pieces so that you can always step out in style from weekend pumpkin picking to those crisp fall morning 8 a.m.’s.

Sarah is a senior Dietetics major. She loves to be involved and keep busy, so you will probably see her drinking an iced coffee. She also enjoys binging HGTv and Food Network.