This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

“Until we invent telepathy, books are our best choice for understanding the rest of humanity.” – Christopher Paolini 

You can watch documentaries, listen to the words of historians, or try to conceptualize the statistics but nothing is quite as impactful as reading a novel.  When you read you are transformed into a different person from a different time and in a different place. Reading captures your mind and your heart, making you empathize in ways no other medium can. 

February, Black History Month, is a time to reflect on the generations of African Americans who have contributed to our country and fought for racial justice. What better way to celebrate than to step inside the minds of writers who can share their experiences first hand?  

Here are four books you should read this month to remember those who fought, and those who continue to fight, for an end to racism. 

Wandering in Strange Lands: A Daughter of Great Migration Reclaims Her Roots | Morgan Jerkins 

In Wandering in Strange Lands Morgan Jerkins writes as she travels the country to fill in her family tree. During her cross country trip, Jerkins uncovers the stories and hardships of her ancestors while illustrating the rather complicated history of Black people in America. 

Twisted: The Tangled History of Black Hair Culture | Emma Dabiri 

This book of beautifully written essays discusses the history of Black hair. Throughout each account, Dabiri seamlessly connects Black hairstyling culture to touch on topics of appropriation, discrimination, and race. 

Remembrance | Rita Woods 

Remembrance follows four Black women whose stories collide despite living in different time periods. Each woman faces her own struggles, but all four are brought together by the color of their skin and their incredible perseverance. 

The Girl with the Louding Voice |  Abi Dare

The Girl with the Louding Voice follows Adunni, a teenage Nigerian girl, as she fights for a life of education and freedom over an arranged marriage and servantry. Read along as Adunni speaks out against a society that is determined to silence her. 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.