Eco Friendly Products to Make Everyday a Little Greener

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

When it comes to Mother Nature, I think we can all agree that she takes care of us. A beautiful home, food, and that much needed beach vacation. So it’s important we show appreciation and nurture nature. It’s hard to remember to be earth friendly, and we’re not perfect. Sometimes we toss the plastic water bottle that could’ve been recycled or forget to turn off a light. Thinking green takes practice.

If you want to help but don’t know how, consider the amount of plastic people use every single day. The simplest way to cut out plastic? Reuse. So much is dumped into the oceans or landfills and it’s super easy to quit. I get it – we’re broke college students. It’s okay if you are, like, broke and don’t really have the funds to save the earth. Not to mention, who has time to plant a tree every single day? That’s okay. Going green doesn’t have to interrupt your everyday life and can be affordable!

These products can help eliminate unnecessary plastic waste from your everyday life without creating inconveniences.

1. Metal Straws

Starbucks is on a strawless trend, and we’re here for it! Buy metal straws online and keep them in your purse or car. This way you are able to pack them around, so whenever you go out to eat or want to sip on something, they will always be with you.

2. Reusable Water Bottles

Don’t buy plastic water bottles! Put that new metal straw in a Yeti or stainless steel water bottle. Seriously, there are so many cute metal water bottles that you can buy for less than 5 bucks. And you won’t have to carry that heavy water bottle case. You’ll have something else to put stickers on!

3. Reusable Grocery Bags

It’s easy to buy these cute reusable bags then forget them whenever you grocery shop. But start the habit because Katy Perry doesn’t actually want to see a plastic bag drifting through the wind.

Then, while you’re out shopping, add reusable produce bags. Order silicone food bags that replace small plastic bags on Amazon that are completely affordable. They come in three different sizes for your fruits and veggies.

4. Electric Toothbrushes

Surprising, right? But think of the billions of people that use a plastic toothbrush, and how many they must go through. Too many. If you already use an electric toothbrush, then the environment thanks you. If not, investing will help you save money. They last way longer and clean teeth better! A win-win.

5. Silverware

College is already time-consuming, and who needs the extra hassle of washing silverware? We already have to keep up with laundry. But remember, we have no Planet B, so do the right thing and refrain from using plastic silverware.

There are so many other ways you to reduce plastic use. Every day can be earth day with small changes in our daily lives. So find even bigger ways to help the environment that are effective and easy. Now your carbon footprint is a little smaller!

Cady Stribling

Murray State '22

Cady double majors in English and Journalism at Murray State University. In her free time she loves reading, dancing, and watching Mean Girls (obviously). Her favorite memory is swimming with dolphins - which is also her favorite animal. She is an avid supporter of the Oxford comma; her sweet tooth is never ending as is her passion for musicals. Cady hopes her future profession includes writing, traveling, and eating a plethora of ice cream.