This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Ahh… fall. The mornings get colder, it gets dark earlier, and I want nothing more than to cozy on up with the Netflix fireplace and a yummy, warm meal. And despite my absolute love of cookbooks, Food Network and cooking in general, I get very lazy when it comes to making meals. I am most definitely a fan of simple, easy meals that are quick to whip up and easy to fix. Plus, meals that have a fall twist are even better for those of us who kicked into full fall mode as soon as the first leaf hit the ground. Here are some delicious and easy fall recipes.

Sweet Potato Mug Cake

Photo courtesy of Daiga Ellaby

I don’t really know when I first discovered mug cakes, but I’m happy that I did. My favorite is usually muffins in a mug because frankly I’m much too lazy to check out an oven key at my dorm, walk downstairs, wait for them to bake… you get the picture. This sweet potato mug cake has to be better than the sketchy mug cake my friends and I made freshman year. Check it out here https://www.theleangreenbean.com/microwave-sweet-potato-mug-cake/. Plus it is super healthy (well, I mean, for a cake that is)! Pop that sucker in the microwave and you’ve got yourself a warm, fluffy, fall mug cake!

Pumpkin seeds

I love these little crunchy little snacks! My favorite way to eat them is to drizzle them in olive oil with a little bit of salt. So easy! But you can also add cinnamon sugar, chile powder, or any spice, really! Here’s a recipe for Cinnamon Toast Pumpkin seeds that may put the cereal to shame! Plus, pumpkin seeds have fiber and are high in sterols which lower cholesterol in your body! If you haven’t tried these yet, then crack open a pumpkin, scrape out the seeds, and get to experimenting! You can’t really mess the up, so have fun with different spices and flavors!

Spaghetti Squash

Photo courtesy of Natalie Rhea Riggs

These have been all the rage on Pinterest and not to mention featured frequently on my favorite Food Network TV show, The Kitchen. All you do is bake or microwave the spaghetti squash and then pull away the stringy flesh with a fork. This “pasta impasta” (see what I did there?) is a great substitute for pasta for my gluten-free ladies out there. I am probably going to make this next week because looking at all of these pictures is legit making me hungry! Here’s a yummy recipe for Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Spinach Spaghetti Squash https://peasandcrayons.com/2016/09/cheesy-garlic-parmesan-spinach-spaghetti-squash.html

Granola Bars

Last, but not least, is granola bars. Something about oats and dried fruit seems rather fall-esque to me. I picture those artsy Nature Valley commercials of people hiking in lush, orange forests snacking on a granola bar when really I’m just eating them straight off the pan sitting on my kitchen counter. But wherever you indulge in these sweet and salty treats, be sure to try them out for yourself. Plus they do not require any baking. How easy is that? I found this recipe that reminds me of no-bake bars I made when I worked as a cook at camp this summer. I have fond memories of whipping up 6 massive pans of these to feed 500 campers. Hopefully you don’t need a batch that big! Check out the recipe here! https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/peanut-butter-trail-mix-bars/

I hope this gave you motivation that cooking tasty fall meals does not have to be difficult or time-consuming. You just have to know what to make! I will definitely be forcing my roommates to try the spaghetti squash when I make it this week, and I may have to whip up a batch of granola bars all for myself just like old times at camp! I hope you give these recipes a shot! Happy fall & happy cooking!

Sarah is a senior Dietetics major. She loves to be involved and keep busy, so you will probably see her drinking an iced coffee. She also enjoys binging HGTv and Food Network.