Ohio University College Green
Ohio University College Green
Hannah Moskowitz
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Growing up, I felt the pressure of going to college from many different influencers in my life. The pressure is real, but you don’t have to give in to it! Although having a degree can get you far, there are many other things that you can do to be successful when you don’t have a degree: trade school, the military, working your way up in a current job, and many more. You don’t need college to be successful and rich. But, you also don’t need to be rich to be successful. 

College is so expensive nowadays. Plus, you may have to go to graduate school to even get a job in the field that you want to go into. Sometimes, it’s not even worth it based on what you are paid annually. It can be a total rip-off; and then, you’re spending your whole life paying off something that has barely helped you make ends meet. In that situation, you would be much better off in a career that doesn’t require college.

If you’re going to college just to party, hate to break it to you, you’re doing it all wrong. College is so much more than partying. If you really want to make it, you need to put forth the effort. That goes to everyone, even if you aren’t attending a college. Have fun! Relax! But work hard and put in all of your effort. Figure out your potential and push it even farther. That is something I’m teaching myself constantly as time goes on. 

If you don’t want to attend college right after high school, it is just fine. If you feel the need to wait to go into college, wait. There is no written rule that you have to go to college right after high school. There is only the pressure that people inflict on you. It may help a lot to go into college right after high school, but if it doesn’t help with your circumstances, that’s okay. You do what you believe is best for yourself.

If you want to go to college, go for it because my time in college so far has been amazing. It can be hard and requires a lot of work, but it’s so worth it.

If college isn’t for you, you do what your heart desires and chase your dreams. I encourage everyone to chase their dreams because why not? If whatever your dream is makes you happy, then do it! 

Happiness is key. Do what will make you happy. Define your own success!

Grace is a freshman at Murray State and is from Newburgh, Indiana. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in cognitive science. Grace loves to mess around with make-up and is obsessed with skincare. You can find Grace on twitter and Instagram at @graaciexx!