This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

1. Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling

Two of the biggest heartthrobs of our generation were once brothers. Yes, brothers. Justin and Ryan were performers on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the early 90s. Gosling’s mom had to go back to Canada for a year, so Timberlake’s mom adopted him in order for him to stay on the show for that season.

2. Rihanna and Shontelle

Imagine combat boots and camo colors… but for real! Before becoming major pop stars, both Rihanna and Shontelle were cadets in a sub-military program in their native home country of Barbados. Shontelle was actually Rihanna’s drill sergeant.

Photo courtesy of @lanafenxty (Twitter)

3. Tom Cruise

Before Scientology, Cruise was a devout Catholic and almost-priest. In elementary school, Cruise and his family were moved to Canada for his abusive father’s job. In middle school, however, Cruise’s mother left their father and moved him and his sisters back to the States. Cruise was then enrolled in St. Francis Seminary School. For a while, he was serious and considered priesthood. It wasn’t until his “risky business” started to come out that he realized it wasn’t the path for him. Cruise and a friend has stolen liquor from the private rooms of the Franciscans, and they were asked not to come back.

4. Rebel Wilson

Growing up in Australia, Wilson traveled around in a caravan with her parents who sold canine products. Wilson graduated from the University of South Wales and spent time as an Australian youth ambassador in South Africa. She contracted malaria during her time there, and a fever-induced hallucination gave her the inspiration to act. She said she imagined herself winning an Academy Award and knew it was time to start acting.

Photo courtesy of ABC News

5. JK Rowling

She is the definition of patience and persistence. A divorced mom living on welfare soon turned to be networthed at $1 billion. The idea of Harry Potter came to her while traveling on a train to London in 1990. After 12 rejections, the first Harry Potter book sold for $4,000 and hit the shelves in 1997.

6. Louis Armstrong

One of the most influential jazz players first learned music in a juvenile detention center. Growing up in extreme poverty and harsh conditions, Armstrong worked odd jobs from a young age and was forced to leave school in 5th grade to work full-time. Once getting out of the detention center, Armstrong made his reputation as a talented cornet player known and continued to pursue a life of music.

Abby Branham

Murray State

Abby is a journalist, cheerleader, travel enthusiast and fitness junkie. She is an avid believer of settling for nothing less than what makes you happy. Abby's life motto is a quote by Jack Kerouac: "Be in love with your life. Every minute of it."