This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

It is almost cliche at this point to say that teen fiction is just for teens. I know during quarantine we all tried new things we had never had time to do before. Some of us learned how to cook for ourselves, some worked out a lot, and others (like myself) decided to read as many teen fiction books as they possibly could. 

I found myself lost in a world of fantasy and history, which was a convenient distraction from what was going on in our world. During this time, I found myself going back and rereading some books rather than moving on to another book. 

Here are some of my more memorable books from the days of quarantine.

The Harry Potter Series by J.K.Rowling

The adventures of Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, and his other wand-weilding friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. They must master their craft of magic at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, all the while battling dark creatures, Death Eaters, and Lord Voldemort.

Harry Potter is pretty much my entire childhood. These books taught me many lessons, like never judging a book by its cover, and shaped me and my friends into the people that we are today. Harry Potter may seem like an obvious answer for a binge book series to read, but it will always be number 1 on my list.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

“I lit up like a Christmas tree.”

By far one of the most heartbreaking lines to read in any book, but I would read this book over and over again. This book, written by John Green, follows Hazel Grace Lancaster as she fights her battle with lung cancer. Through many treatments, watching Project Runway, and Cancer Kid Support Group meetings, Hazel believes it’s just that same stuff over and over again. Until an incredible plot twist brought in the form of a one-legged Augustus Waters. 

This story gives a lot of laughs, but it also gives a lot of heart break. Read on to find out the story of Hazel and Augustus. 

Okay? Okay.

Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle

Three separate stories that begin to intertwine with one another as three teenagers begin to experience a huge snow storm in the town of Gracetown during the Christmas season.

I am a sucker for any cliche Christmas romance movies, so this book is right where I want to be! 

Paper Towns by John Green

One month before graduating from his Central Florida high school, Quentin “Q” Jacobsen basks in the predictable boringness of his life, until the beautiful and exciting Margo Roth Spiegelman, Q’s neighbor and classmate, takes him on a midnight adventure and then mysteriously disappears.

After reading this book, I felt so inspired to want to go on my adventure. So, I watched the movie and that was a pretty great adventure! Cara Delevingne does an impressive interpretation of Margo, and I would not want it cast any other way. Cara always brings such chaotic energy to any project she does!

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Able to see demons and those who hunt them, Clary Fray is drawn into the world of the Shadowhunters when her mother slips into a coma and travels to the City of Glass, the capital of their secretive country, where she uncovers important truths about her family’s past.

Although the movie was by far the most disappointing book-to-movie rendition, the book never disappoints. When you read this book, you really feel like you are a supernatural badass and that you can kill these horrendous and ugly demons. 

A forbidden romance between not one, not two, but three different couples. Now that is a story to read!

As you may have noticed, I am a big fan of anything John Green. However, I am no stranger to expanding my horizons and looking at what other authors have to offer. I would give these books a try for sure because I could not put them down.

Gabrielle Gray

Murray State '22

Gabrielle Gray is currently a senior at Murray State University majoring in Elementary Education.Other than attending classes, you can find her drinking coffee at Shaffer Coffee Co., eating sushi from Market 22 in the Curris Center, or helping out around the university. Gabrielle is heavily involved at Murray State University by being one of the College of Education and Human Services senators for the 2020-2021 academic year for the Murray State University Student Government Association, volunteering for events being held around campus, as well as being a social butterfly. Check her out this Fall at the Springer housing desk, or when she occasionally works at her second home: Dan's Southern Prep.