This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

If you are someone who is cautious of using non-toxic cleaning products but you can’t drop $20 for a small bottle of all purpose cleaner that will last you a whole two weeks, this article is for you. This summer, along with 90% of the population, I became a clean freak. I’ve always been one to straighten up my things and put everything into its rightful place, but this year I started deep cleaning my space regularly. 

Although I loved the fresh feeling of a newly disinfected room, my wallet was not super happy with the money I was spending on non-toxic cleaning products. I did some research and found these two DIY recipes and I have been using them ever since!

All-Purpose Cleaner 

• Fill a spray bottle with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of white distilled vinegar. Squirt a little dash of dish soap and a few drops of your favorite essential oil in as well. Shake the bottle up and you’re ready to get cleaning. 

• I use this mixture to clean everything including the kitchen sink, and that is no exaggeration. From my kitchen counters, to my furniture, and even my bathroom floor this stuff will do the trick in leaving any surface squeaky clean. 

• If you are concerned about your house smelling like vinegar, do not worry one bit. The vinegar smell usually dilutes within a few minutes! 

Homemade Carpet Freshener 

• I LOVE when my carpet is freshly vacuumed! I probably pull out my vacuum cleaner on the daily to pick up crumbs and fluff up my carpet. Follow the steps below to add to the smell and cleanliness of your floors! 

• In a large bowl, mix 2 cups borax, 1 cup baking soda and some drops of your favorite essential oil, and store it in a large mason jar. Twenty minutes prior to vacuuming, sprinkle the mixture evenly on your rugs or carpet. Once the 20 minutes is up, vacuum as normal.

• Not only will this make your room smell AMAZING, but the mixture will disinfect your carpet and deter any bugs or fleas from making it their home! 

These two eco-friendly cleaning tricks have become a part of my weekly routine. I hope you all love them as much as I do! 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.