Style > Beauty

Affordable Skincare Brands that Won’t Break Your Wallet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Skincare. We all do it, but let’s be honest it is a never ending cycle of trial and error in trying to figure out what products work best for us and how much we are willing to spend to get the best look. Without having an expert breathing down your neck telling you what to buy based on your skin types, as well as the type of ingredients that may irritate your skin, it can become a minefield. It’s even worse when you decide to drop a fortune on one product because, hey, if it is this expensive it must be good, right?

But that mindset is not exactly very truthful, and is not the case after it comes to a certain threshold. It is not a big secret that some heavy hitters can do miracles for your skin, or that some products worth $30 can be made by the same cosmetics team that develops a $300 cream. Sometimes it is worth the splurge to buy these beauty products because some of them are worth it, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are buying a better product.

There are plenty of affordable skincare brands that are just as well or better than these luxury skincare brands. Thankfully, I have had my fair share of figuring out what products work the best for the right price, and yes, that does mean that I have also spent a ridiculous amount of money on some products only to end up hating them. I have cherry-picked a few of my favorite affordable skin care basics that are worth 100% of your time and money.

The Ordinary

Price range: $6-$29

I am sure that many of you have heard of this brand and have even tried it. The Ordinary brand has become one of my all-time favorites and is incredibly affordable. This skincare brand is known for “clinical formulations with integrity.” In other words, for using familiar, effective clinical technologies with transparent communication and pricing. My favorite product from The Ordinary is the AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. I have never seen my face go through such a glow-up by only using one product.

Simple

Price Range: $5-$10

It is all in the name: Simple is the skincare brand to know if you would like an affordable, simplistic product that won’t irritate your skin. To be honest, I have tried some of the more expensive makeup removers and cleansing waters, but this drugstore version is the one that I will continually stand by and keep in my routine.

No B.S.

Price Range: $18-$50

No B.S. is a plant-based skincare brand that blends scientific heavy hitters with natural ingredients to make for simple, hype- and fad-resistant skin care that just works. Everything is free from fillers like parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, or phthalates.

Aztec Secret

Price Range: $8-$15

Aztec Secret really only sells one product, but it would be a shame to not include the phenomenon of the Indian Healing Clay Mask in an affordable skincare list. The Aztec Clay Mask basically acts like a vacuum for your pores in the five to 20 minutes it’s on. The 100% natural calcium bentonite clay draws out all the impurities deep in your skin for what has been called ‘the world’s most powerful facial’ — and it’s helping to combat serious acne. The mask has been championed everywhere from Sephora beauty blogs to the review section on Amazon (which has over 11,000 five-star ratings).

Mario Badescu

Price Range: $6-$45

Mario Badescu is the brand behind the popular acne spot drying lotion that everyone from beauty editors to supermodels like Bella Hadid and Kylie Jenner swear by. Badescu products have a potent combination of the usual scientific suspects as well as botanicals. It’s best known for the Drying Lotion and a trio of facial misting sprays.

CeraVe

Price Range: $5-$25

Developed by dermatologists, CeraVe is another excellent standardized skincare system. The hero ingredients in every one of their products are ceramides, which help restore the skin’s barrier, making it soft and moisturized and helping your body protect itself against irritation and air pollution.

Gabrielle Gray

Murray State '22

Gabrielle Gray is currently a senior at Murray State University. She is majoring in Elementary Education and looks forward to her future career. Besides being apart of HerCampus as the Co-Correspondent, she is also an avid participant in events around campus, as well as a senator in Murray State SGA for the College of Education and Human Services.