8 Best Spots on Murray State’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Murray State’s campus is known for its quaint beauty and quiet and secluded getaways. Students and faculty alike all have their favorites, whether it’s the open grass space of the quad or the zen garden. There’s a place for everyone to sit and relax in between classes, some students even carry hammocks around with them for an afternoon nap. If you find yourself wandering around campus with nothing to do, stop by one (or all!) of these top 8 spots!

1. The Mall

Spanning from the Curris Center to Waterfield Library, The Mall is a place for students to connect. Whether you’re “benching” in-between classes with your friends, or participating in games offered by one of our many student organizations, you’ll never fail to find a friendly face on The Mall!

2. The Zen Garden

Nestled in between the Old and New Fine Arts buildings, the Zen Garden is a great place to go to relax between classes. Its many trees provide shade, making the nook a few degrees cooler than the rest of campus. The Zen Garden has a seating area that provides the perfect place for alone time or time with friends. Its cool, comforting atmosphere and convenient location make it the best place to unwind on campus!

3. The Thoroughbred Room

Located on the second floor of the Curris Center, the Thoroughbred Room, or “T’Room” for short, is the best place to eat on campus. For students living on campus, the T’Room provides a delicious break from Winslow meals. It boasts a variety of food, from a burrito bar to a hot line that serves meals just like your momma makes! Stop at Market 22 right outside for some great sushi and snacks!

4. The Arboretum

Beginning at the intersection of Locust Street and Hickory Drive, The Arboretum is a great place to enjoy the outdoors. The Arboretum boasts paved paths that wind through a gorgeous landscape filled with trees, plants, and flowers. It also has benches and tables that are perfect for studying and snacking with your buds. Although it isn’t actually on campus, it’s definitely worth the mile-long commute!

5. Pony Express

Found, well, anywhere on campus, the Pony Express is Murray State’s food truck. Although it lacks the variety one can find at the T’Room, it makes up for it with the sheer deliciousness of its food! The best thing about the Pony Express is that it’s convenient for everyone—the truck is driven around campus throughout the day in order to serve as many students possible. The Pony Express can also be found off campus, at places that have a high student population. Find where the Pony Express will be next on their twitter (@msuponyexpress) or on their website (http://www.murraystate.edu/campus/Dining/CampusDiningVenues/PonyExpress.aspx)!

6. Pogue Library

Photo by Michelle Hawks

Located across the street from popular restaurants Tap 216 and Burrito Shack, Pogue Library is the best kept secret of many Murray students. With its beautiful architecture and many windows, Pogue is likely the most beautiful building on campus. Its beauty, and the fact that not many people wander in, make Pogue the best place to study on campus. Pogue is almost always quiet, which allows many to focus better on their work. Pogue also holds special collections, and boasts an impressive archive of local history. Find your way to Pogue for some relaxing study time along with some peace and quiet!

7. Waterfield Library

Located just past the big gates, Waterfield Library is the go-to place for most Racers to study. Waterfield has three floors—a basement for group studying, a ground floor for computer use, and a top floor, which serves as a quiet floor. Each floor boasts part of Waterfield’s impressive collection of books, movies, records, and more. Go to Waterfield with study buddies, and don’t forget to hit up their snack shop, Starbooks, for your mid-day or late-night cravings!

8. The Quad

Photo by Michelle Hawks

Stretching from Wilson Hall to Lovett Auditorium, the Quad is a grassy area filled with tradition. The Quad boasts a statue of Murray State’s founder, Rainey T. Wells, and the shoe tree, where couples who met at Murray State and were later married come and nail a shoe on the tree to signify their time here. All-Campus Sing is held on the steps of Lovett Auditorium in the Quad, and brings in hundreds of people to campus every year. Stretch your hammock between the trees in the Quad, and “hang out” with your friends!

Lauren is a junior studying History and Education at Murray State. She enjoys reading, spends an unhealthy amount of time on Twitter, and takes long naps as often as she can. She loves the oxford comma, going to concerts, and watching Try Guys videos to avoid doing homework. You can find her on Instagram (@laurenedminster) and Twitter (also @laurenedminster).
Jordyn Rowland

Murray State '19

Jordyn is a public relations major and film studies minor at Murray State University, where she has been for three years as an undergraduate student. She is an avid watcher of anything created by Shonda Rhimes, but her favorite is by far Grey's Anatomy. She enjoys traveling... a lot. Her favorite places so far are Los Angeles and Berlin. She really loves her dog and would adopt 50 more if she wasn't allergic. Jordyn's plans include running her own TV show and trying every drink on the menu (including the hidden one!) from Starbucks.