Life > Experiences

7 Signs It’s Time to Stop Talking to a Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Well, as much as it saddens you, sometimes you have to break up with your best friend. Similar to the end of a relationship, a friendship can experience the same agonizing conclusion: things can go wrong and get overcomplicated, and before you know it, you and your best friend (or already ex-best friend) are on different pages about and you are just wondering how it happened.

I haven’t had a lot of best friends in my life who have come and gone. But anyway, it happened and there’s nothing wrong with that; people change.

If you find your relationship with your best friend is not what it used to be, then it might be time to stop talking. Here are 7 signs it’s time to stop talking to a best friend.

1. The only common thing you have holding you together is the past.

Sure, it’s really comfortable to have someone who experienced your many good and bad days, all your awkward situations and one-sided crushes. No doubts the past is always fun to talk about, but your friendship should be not only about the past, but the present, and, of course, the future. If there is no present and future to the friendship, it can seem silly to stay best friends.

2. When you realize you are alone in making efforts

Friendships are a two-way street. If you’re the only one taking initiative to meet up or make plans, you have to admit, that’s not fair. After a while it can feel like maybe your best friend is trying to phase you out in some ways. Or even worse, ghost you.

3. When they judge your life choices instead of supporting them

All people mess up and we all make mistakes. A best friend will talk about those mistakes in a friendly manner instead of trying to insult or upset you. A best friend whom you don’t want to have in your life is just going to endlessly judge you until you feel even worse about your mistakes.

4. When your best friend spends more time being envious about your success than happy for you

Friends are expected to be happy for your achievements even if one person is succeeding while the other is not. But happiness for your friends should always be above all things. If you’re not getting that from your best friend or able to give that to them, then it’s time to rethink things.

5. When you feel obligated to spend time with them

At least once in our lives, we have all had those acquaintances with whom we feel obligated to spend time. There is nothing wrong; it happens. But when it comes to your best friend, it’s obviously a huge problem. Your best friend is supposed to be a source of fun, not someone who you avoid.

6. When your best friend isn’t that person you would take to a deserted island

Ask yourself if you would you take your best friend to a desert island. It’s quite a classic question, but it helps you understand how fully you can rely on your friend. You know what to do if your answer is no.

7. When you stop feeling comfortable telling your best friend about your life

If it turns out that you don’t feel comfortable anymore talking about your life or you can only share about the good things, concealing the struggles, you should be worried about your friendship. You should be completely honest with your best friend. If you cannot be fully open, you should surely think about the reason.

You don’t have to be best friends with one person forever, and sometimes it is better to end it up saving good memories and appreciation to each other.

All GIFs via Giphy