5 Reasons You’re Ready to go Back after Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

There’s not a single Netflix series you haven’t binge watched these past 5 weeks

You’ve watched all 12 seasons of Criminal Minds twice, you’ve seen Shameless, Riverdale, Stranger Things, and Parenthood. At this point, you’re concerned you forgot how to have human interaction because you’re so used to staring at a screen. You can’t find any other shows that you haven’t already watched that seem interesting. You’re probably wondering if all of your college friends are being productive or if they’re laying in bed binge watching Netflix also. Is this normal? You think it is. 

You have spent 95 percent of your time sleeping

You went from a perfectly normal sleep schedule of going to bed at 11:30 and getting up at 8:30, to maybe getting to sleep by 3 in the morning on a good night. This whole getting up at noon thing is great but I’m wondering how it’s going to work when I have class at 8:00 a.m. starting next week. I’m also a little concerned that I won’t be able to last as long as I did during my classes. The past 5 weeks, I have spent sleeping until noon, getting up to eat a good brunch, to going back to bed right after my meal because I’m so exhausted from preparing my food. What if I can’t get through my math and biology class without wanting to lay my head down on the desk? Well I guess I’m going to have to get used to it.

You can only post on social media that you miss your college besties so many times

I think all my friends and followers know that I miss my college besties because I’ve posted throwbacks, I miss you posts, and countdowns saying how long until we’re reunited. It’s fine because I miss them and I need everyone from home to know that I did indeed make friends after going away and I’m not a loser, but you can only post about them so many times. Shoutout to my followers who didn’t unfollow me after all the annoying “miss my best friend” posts and I promise I’ll wait until summer to post those again. 

You’re gaining weight between the holiday food and the homemade meals every day

I don’t know about you but instead of gaining the freshman 15 while I was away at school, I gained more coming home for the holidays and eating my weight in homemade meals and cookies. At college, I wasn’t sure if I would eat all three meals because I would rather eat a small breakfast, and then spend $7 at Cookout around 3 and be full the rest of the day. The meals at college are inconsistent and it’s not guaranteed that I eat every day between being so busy and trying to budget my money. Even every once in awhile I convince myself to workout at college since the wellness center is so close to me. This keeps me way more in shape than I am during winter break while i’m eating good and laying in bed all day. Therefore, I need to go back to avoid gaining the freshman 35.

You’ve spent all your money​​ 

I have two jobs at school and my summer job at home had too many full time people during winter break, so I was forced to just go home and not make money. While I go out with friends and spend money on food and activities, I realize that a lot of money is going out but nothing’s coming in. I need to go back so I can make some money instead of just spending it.

Alyssa is currently in her sophomore year at Murray State University. She appreciates nothing more than chick-fil-a's wonderful customer service as well as their food, a good netflix series, and a night of playing card/board games. In her very rare free time, you can find her playing sports. spending money on clothes and shoes, and eating mexican food. She plans to pursue a career in Elementary Education where she is able to provide each child with a home away from home. You can find her on twitter & instagram @Busche12