This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Another 365 days have passed and the ball dropped once again. So that means new year, new you… Right? It’s the time of positivity for some, yet simultaneously the time of negativity for others. Why exactly? Because resolutions. Those goals or changes that some people are so gung-ho about, causing others to scoff, turn up their nose and bet on how long until failure.

Whichever end of the spectrum you are on, there is never anything wrong with challenging yourself in the new year. Stepping out of your comfort zone, doing something you’ve always wanted to do, or taking on something completely different can be all kinds of fun and rewarding. Also, the connotation of starting a new hobby is just so much better than that of a resolution.  

Implementing a new hobby can be something purely for fun, or it could be to better and challenge yourself. The possibilities are endless. So, below are 19 new hobby ideas for you to consider for 2019.

1. Podcasts (your own or others’)

2. Couponing

3. Volunteering

4. Cooking recipes from family cookbooks

5. Understanding and keeping up with current events not commonly highlighted by the media

6. Figuring out your genealogy without the use of websites or subscriptions

7. Furniture restoration

8. Home brewing (kombucha, wine, beer)

Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash

9. Carpentry

10. Ceramics

11. Building model cars, rockets, or ships

12. Reading and researching history of interest to you

13. Cake decorating (you can bake your cake and eat it too)

14. Candle making

15. Soap making

16. Murder mysteries (not in the form of Netflix shows)

17. Start a club with friends

18. Dog walking

19. Cooking meals native to every country

Abby Branham

Murray State

Abby is a journalist, cheerleader, travel enthusiast and fitness junkie. She is an avid believer of settling for nothing less than what makes you happy. Abby's life motto is a quote by Jack Kerouac: "Be in love with your life. Every minute of it."