nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things To Do At Land Between the Lakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Land Between the Lakes is a strip of land between Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. It is a National Recreation Area that includes over 170,000 acres of forest, campgrounds, lakes, and trails. There are so many opportunities to have fun outside while the temperature is still bearable. Plus, it is a cheap and easy getaway from studying. It takes less than 30 minutes to drive there.

I attribute Land Between the Lakes to being the sole reason I enjoy nature as much as I do. Being from Paducah, my family and I have been visiting the area for years. My summers were filled fishing, camping, hiking, and mountain biking. I have so many memories from this place, and I really enjoy telling other students about what there is to do here.

Photo courtesy of Hope Gibson

1. Camping at Hillman Ferry Campground

This campground holds a very special place in my heart. My family began camping here when I was very young, and I may be a little bias because I was an intern here over the summer. Camping may not be everyone’s favorite thing in the world, but I still like to recommend it. Hillman Ferry offers hiking and biking trails, a swimming area, basketball and volleyball courts, a country store, and countless little woodland creatures. I highly suggest spending at least one weekend this fall camping with friends. I can promise that memories will be made. Maybe you will roast marshmallows and hot dogs by a roaring fire, or lounge around in your Eno as you stare at the changing leaves, or get chased by a “friendly” raccoon who just wants a bite of your food. (You should probably keep your food in the car. I say this from experience.) If you are worried about sleeping in the woods with no electricity or water, don’t worry. There are 374 campsites here, and there is water and electricity available.

Hours: Open March 1 – November 30

Cost: $12 per night for a basic campsite

Travel Time: 45 minutes

2. Horseback Riding at Wrangler’s Campground (Rocking U Riding Stables)

This place is a horse-lover’s heaven. It is a horse-friendly campground that has several trails specifically for horseback riding. If you don’t have a horse, they have horses that you can “rent.” You can schedule a time to ride through the scenic trails with a group. Don’t worry if you’ve never ridden a horse before. The horses have the trails memorized, so you don’t even have to steer. There are two guides that will help you with any problems that you have. It is such a unique experience to ride a horse on trails that wind through the woods, across creeks, and beside the lake.

Hours: Open April – October

Cost: $18 for a 45-minute ride OR $30 for a 90-minute ride

Travel time: 35 minutes

3. Hiking at Hematite Lake

Although there are several hiking trails in the area, this one is my favorite. It’s not an excruciating hike, only 2.2 miles, with only a few small hills to climb. The trail surrounds a beautiful lake, and the back of the hiking trail has a boardwalk that goes over a marshy area. Depending on the water level of the lake, this section can be flooded over. It’s a good idea to wear old shoes if you want to hike around the entire loop.

Hours: Open year-round

Cost: Free

Travel Time: 40 minutes

Photo courtesy of Clare Froehlich

4. Visiting the Woodlands Nature Station

Adjacent to Hematite Lake is the Woodlands Nature Station. This place features wildlife of the area. All of the animals here were rescued and are now used for educational purposes.  You can view animals such as a coyote, bald eagle, or a snake. There are several special events each year that can be fun to attend for a chance to have an interactive encounter with amazing animals. The educational aspect is more for children, but it is still an exciting experience. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable on each creature. You may even get the chance to conquer your fear of snakes by petting a friendly one here. At the end of each day, there is a special show where the staff introduces different birds of prey to the visitors.

Hours: Open daily April – October from 10am-5pm

Cost: $5 per person

Travel Time: 40 minutes

5. Canoeing & Kayaking on Honker Lake

Honker Lake is located close to the Woodland Nature Station. There are kayaking and canoe rental available. Unfortunately, the rentals are only available from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. However, it is never too late to plan a trip for next year! Kayaking and canoeing are great ways to spend time in nature while simultaneously working out your arm and core muscles. It’s better than being cooped up in a gym!

Hours: Memorial Day weekend – Labor Day weekend 10am-5pm

Cost: $10 per hour

Travel Time: 45 minutes

6. Driving through the Elk & Bison Prairie

This activity is possible no matter what the weather is like. It has a Jurassic Park feel to it as you drive through massive gates into a giant enclosure. There are 700 acres of land for the elk and bison to live, and the road winds through the area. Some days there are several animals roaming close to, or even on, the road. The best times of day to go are early in the morning or in the evening because that is when they are most active. If you visit in May or June, you may be lucky enough to see newborn babies romping around.

Hours: Daily, from sunrise to sunset

Cost: $5 per vehicle

Travel Time: 30 minutes

Photo courtesy of Clare Froehlich

7. Mountain Biking at Canal Loop Trail

This trail is 11 miles long and can be accessed from the North Welcome Station or the Kentucky Lake Scenic Drive. It is suggested that you wear a helmet because it’s going to be a bumpy ride. There are tree roots, hills, creeks, and mud to challenge you. It may be difficult to ride all the way through, but this trail is very scenic. It passes through the shorelines of Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. I would not recommend doing this trail if you are a beginner.

Hours: Every day

Cost: Free

Travel Time: 40 minutes

8. Visiting the Homeplace

The Homeplace is an 1850s farm where volunteers portray history through dress, actions, and communication. This is a history buff’s paradise, as it is an interactive museum. There are animals such as chickens, mules, and sheep that run around the farm. There are buildings that you can walk through and interactive activities that allow you to get insight on what life was like in the 1800s. It is a beautiful farm that transports you back in time.

Cost: $5

Travel Time: 40 minutes

9. Attending a show at the Planetarium

With several different educational shows, the planetarium offers high quality programs. The shows last about 40 minutes. There are also laser light shows that is very popular with guests. The planetarium is located within the visitor center, so it is a perfect location to spend a day exploring Land Between the Lakes. There are hiking trails, picnic tables, a museum, and a gift shop located here. The planetarium is both educational and interesting.

Hours: 10am-5pm

Cost: general admission $5

Travel Time: 25 minutes

10. Volunteering with Friends of Land Between the Lakes

The nonprofit organization associated with Land Between the Lakes is always searching for new volunteers. You can go as a group or an individual to assist with a variety of needs. The volunteer work can vary from administrative work to cleaning up litter on hiking trails. After a short application, the organization will let you know when an event is coming up that you can choose to help with. Some of the experiences are fun to be a part of, such as the Cool Critters Day at the Nature Station. You get to go behind the scenes to see several animals. This is a great way to earn service hours or to do something good for the community.

Clare Froehlich

Murray State '19

Clare is a senior Public Relations major at Murray State University. She is the senior editor for her university's Her Campus chapter. She can usually be found at the closest dog park or planning for her next travel destination.