This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

If you’ve ever experienced love in your life, chances are high that you must’ve come across rejection too… because rejection comes hand in hand with matters of the heart. As hard as it is to accept this fact, it is equally likely for an individual to encounter this tough phase at least once (if not more) in their life.

We are always taught to be optimistic about anything that we want very dearly as the universe listens and responds. Or, we are asked to manifest whatever we desire & work towards it. But we are never prepared for the worst-case scenario when the universe fails to conspire to fulfill our wishes and unite us with the love of our life(at least that’s what we believe it was at that point). We are simply just asked to move on… or forget them and look for somebody new. “There are plenty of fishes in the sea…” they say. But nobody tells us how to deal with the happening that has happened. Nobody tells us what to do when we are standing at the door to your heart awaiting our special one, but all we got was the key to that door which they returned as they aren’t planning to enter ever. Nobody tells you what will be right to do with that key. To lock yourself up outside, or to throw it away for a random stranger to pick up and barge in. To break it so that the possibility of anyone entering ever fades, or simply just wait there with the key in your hand in case that special one changes their mind and wants to come back.

I know it all sounds too twisted but this is nothing in front of the questionnaire one does with oneself, every single second, one spends in solitude pondering over zillions of whys, what-ifs, and buts.

Is it right though? As an individual, we punish ourselves by ruining our presence of mind by giving this much headspace to this canon event, while simply mourning over the fact that someone didn’t mirror our intentions towards them. Is it right to not focus on accepting the rejection and rather more on the individual who rejected you? And is it right to waste your present aimlessly, feeling the loss of all those imaginary dreams, that will never come to life as your wish has been turned down? Well, the answer is NO.

Firstly, Getting rejected isn’t a curse or a matter of decreasing pride(like it is perceived by youth nowadays). If somebody has said a ‘NO’ to you it means you need to come to terms with the fact that you won’t always get what you desire and that’s life. Now, there can be endless conditions to every situation varying from person to person, over which one tries to give a justified reasoning to oneself as to why the other person didn’t feel the same way as they did, but at the end of the day the best we can do is understand that ‘sometimes things aren’t meant to be, and no changes, in you or situations could’ve prevented that rejection‘. The sooner you admit this fact that “Yes, it happened, it happens to everyone, and I’d rather grow as a person from this instead of sulking over it,” half of the clutter will clear itself up from your head. And the rest of the job is done when you the decision regarding how you want to go ahead(as life must go on!), keeping in mind where your happiness lies.

People often follow suggestions of friends and family blindly in such cases, without giving a single thought over the fact that it’s you who went through it all, and it’s you who knows the situation most closely. Hence it’s you who’s capable of taking the best possible decision for yourself and not them (no matter how experienced they might be). Always opt for what makes you happy in the long run, and prioritize your goals, your life, and your peace of mind. You’ll soon realize that your life is falling back into place and that rejection was just a tutor whose lessons nobody can escape. It just made you more strong and better as a person.

Kashish Adwani is the editor at her campus at Muj chapter. She loves penning down thoughts and opinions about life, society, human psychology, dreams, food, and book reviews. beyond her campus, she loves writing poetry, and prose and has published a couple of fan-fictions too on some of the popular web-novel platforms. currently, she is working on her first book. On the academic front, she is pursuing a bachelor's degree of B.tech in information technology from MUJ. She is a budding Android app developer who is also a data analytics and design enthusiast. She is a bibliophile, and an ambivert who loves socializing and talking with fellows about literally anything, but also cherishes the peace and content that she gets by sitting in silence all by herself. She believes your words hold the potential of becoming a weapon and bringing a smile to your audience's faces all at once, the only condition is if you know how to choose them wisely or not.