This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Marriage is traditionally seen as a sacred part of Indian culture, tied to deep-rooted traditions and family connections. Yet, as society changes over time, so does how Indian families view marriage. In this ongoing transformation, each generation contributes its own perspective, much like playing a distinct role in the overall relationship symphony. Think of marriage as an enduring tune passed down through generations, with each era bringing its own style to the mix. As time moves forward, shaping the relationship landscape, the changing attitude towards marriage in Indian families becomes a captivating story of transformation.

Marriage is like a timeless melody passed down through the generations, with each era adding its unique rhythm to the mix. From the traditional framework of arranged unions to the thriving acceptance of love marriages, the redrawing of gender roles, the rise of intercultural alliances, and the changing perspectives on divorce, this narrative unfolds against the backdrop of a society in transition.

Marriage is a journey marked by a delicate dance between preserving the essence of cultural values and embracing the winds of modernity

Historically, arranged marriages have been the norm in India, were the norm, where families played a central role in selecting suitable life partners for their children based on factors such as caste, community, economic status, and social compatibility. This approach aimed to ensure harmony between families and maintain societal structures. As individuals gained more autonomy and exposure to different perspectives, the emphasis shifted from familial decisions to personal choices, paving the way for the rise of love marriages. Love marriages, characterized by individuals choosing their life partners based on personal feelings of affection and compatibility, challenge the traditional narrative of arranged unions. This shift can be attributed to several factors, including the desire for emotional fulfillment, increased independence, and exposure to a more individualistic mindset. The changing role of women in society, with many pursuing higher educations and entering the workforce, has also contributed to a shift in attitudes towards marriage.

The process of redefining gender roles, particularly within the context of marriage and family dynamics, marks a significant evolution in societal attitudes. Men were typically regarded as breadwinners, responsible for financial stability and decision-making, while women were expected to fulfill domestic responsibilities, including caregiving and managing the household. One of the key elements of this transformation is the move towards egalitarian partnerships. Modern couples are increasingly seeking relationships based on equality, where responsibility and decision-making are shared irrespective of gender. This change challenges the notion that financial provision is solely the responsibility of men.

Women are no longer confined to traditional roles but are actively participating in professional spheres, contributing to the family income, and pursuing careers.

In the realm of parenting, a shift towards shared responsibilities is evident. Modern couples are more likely to collaborate in raising children, challenging the notion that childcare is primarily the mother’s duty. Men are becoming more actively involved in nurturing and caregiving, fostering a more balanced and harmonious family life. However, this transition is not without its challenges. Deeply ingrained societal norms and expectations often resist change, and some individuals may find it challenging to adapt to this evolving landscape. Moreover, achieving true gender equality requires addressing not only external expectations but also internalized beliefs and biases that individuals may carry.

Historically, Indian society placed a strong emphasis on the sanctity of marriage, viewing it as a lifelong commitment with significant social, cultural, and religious implications. Divorce was often perceived as a failure, and individuals who sought to end their marriages faced social scrutiny and judgment. However, in recent decades, there has been a discernible change in these attitudes. In the context of Indian families, attitudes toward divorce have evolved over the years, reflecting broader changes in societal values, individual autonomy, and the recognition of personal well-being. As societal norms evolve, there is a greater acknowledgment of the importance of personal fulfillment and mental health in the context of marriage.

The idea that staying in an unhappy or unhealthy marriage is detrimental to the overall well-being of individuals is gaining traction.

Indian society is becoming increasingly diverse and interconnected, leading to a rise in intercultural and interfaith marriages. Young couples are more willing to look beyond cultural and religious differences, embracing the idea that love and compatibility can transcend traditional boundaries. This trend not only reflects a more inclusive outlook but also challenges societal norms that have long governed marriage choices. Changing patterns are being witnessed in several areas such as age at marriage, inter-caste marriage, arranged versus love matches, matching horoscopes, and so on.

This journey is a dynamic and multifaceted transformation, guided by the interplay of tradition and modernity. The shift from arranged to love marriages, the redefinition of gender roles, the acknowledgment of personal well-being in marital unions, and the changed perspective of divorce collectively shape a narrative that mirrors the diverse aspirations and values of this fast-paced society. Even today, marriage remains a sacred bond engraved with cultural values but in order to move forward it needs to embrace progressive ideals…

Aditi Thakur is a 2nd year Computer Science student at Manipal University Jaipur. She deeply believes in less perfection and more authenticity. She is usually spilling her entire personal life online through her different Instagram accounts but is the biggest introvert in person. Give her access to K-pop, k-dramas and books and she might even survive an apocalypse.