Career > Work

Moonlighting: Dual Professional Journey and Motivation Behind It

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

As India is developing into one big economical giant , a lot of uncertainties and shift in employment landscapes is happening which directly impact youth and there financial security that gave rise to the concept of moonlighting which has evolved from a choice to a necessity for many individuals striving to secure financial stability.

Moonlighting, is the practice of holding a second job or engaging in supplemental work beyond one’s primary occupation, has become a only solution to challenges presented by the modern workforce.

Realities are often disappointing and harsh. The driving force behind the necessity of moonlighting often comes from sad economic realities. Minimum wages, rising living costs, and unforeseen expenses place individuals in a very difficult position, compelling them to seek additional sources of income. Moonlighting becomes a lifeline, offering a means to solve the financial gap and gives the person a sense of economic stability.

With the emergence of AI and other advance technologies job security is no longer guaranteed. AI is being trained to do monotonous works of us humans .Embracing the necessity of moonlighting becomes a strategic move to diversify income streams and create a safety net in the face of unpredictable job markets.

However, moonlighting comes with its own set of challenges. There should be a delicate balance between primary employment, secondary commitments, and personal life . Burning out, time management, and maintaining a healthy work-life equilibrium become critical issues in the sustainability of this dual professional journey.

For some, moonlighting is not just about financial necessity; it’s a means of pursuing passion or venturing into entrepreneurial projects. Individuals find fulfilment and creative expression outside their primary jobs, turning their moonlighting pursuits into avenues for personal and professional growth and happiness.

Despite the practical reasons behind moonlighting, there still exists a societal stigma surrounding it. Employers view it as a sign of professional instability or a lack of dedication from their employee . Addressing and accepting moonlighting as a way of work and challenging these perceptions is crucial for fostering a more inclusive understanding of the diverse reasons behind moonlighting.

In today’s world where economical uncertainties ,moonlighting is gaining popularity and is becoming an integral part of the modern professional journey. One should acknowledge the difficult economical realities, need for adapting to changing job markets, following passion projects and balancing multiple commitments as crucial aspects of financial stability. Embracing moonlighting not only addresses immediate financial needs of a person but also shows the resilience and adaptability of that person in the face of an ever-evolving professional landscape.

my name is Meenakshi Kumar and i am an aspirational writer. I talk about issues regarding women safety, empowerment and world affairs. I got inspired in writing articles as a way to express my ideas and opinions to the world. One of my favourite quotes that explains my reason to write is -: "The pen is mightier than the sword, for by the sword are mortal battles wages, but by the pen entire cultures swayed.” Writing for a cause and the impact it has on world inspires me to write I am currently a student in Manipal University Jaipur, B-Tech programme. I also got to know about HerCampus from college only. It is a platform for me to express my opinions and views about the world.