food
food
Original photo by Shiven Josan
Wellness > Health

Jumpstart Healthy Changes in your Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

“Health” is a crucial aspect of our lives and will always hold the utmost importance. It’s rather easy to neglect this domain of our lives than to actually accept it and nurture it. There’s no doubt that our health is demanding, but it’s fair to say that these demands are nothing but necessary, and it has its perks. Having a healthy lifestyle brings a significant balance in your life; from taking pragmatic decisions to making calculated actions. A healthy lifestyle can efficaciously influence all your decisions in life, and these are just a few of the several things that it has to offer.

Besides, occasionally veering off the path, most of us think we do a fair job at maintaining our health with good or satisfactory eating habits and physical activity. By doing so, the majority just tries to make themselves feel better without actually facing the situation. 

The goal is simple, to be healthier; the journey might get a little monotonous but good things come to those who are patient. It’s acceptable and quite normal to be a little ambitious in this journey, but being over-ambitious can effortlessly divert you from your path. 

Set SMART Goals

SMART is an acronym that you can use to guide your goal setting. The terminology is plain simple yet effective. 

Specific- To be specific is to be efficient. Your goal should be clear and specific, else you won’t be able to focus your efforts or feel truly motivated to work towards it. 

Measurable – It is important to keep a track of your progress, this way it makes it easier to feel motivated to move out of your comfort zone and achieve more sustainable results. 

It also arouses the feeling of being excited or getting closer to achieving your goal.

Achievable- To be successful, the goal needs to be realistic and attainable. In other words, it should stretch your abilities but still remain possible.

Relevant- Ensure that your goal matters to you, and that it also aligns with other relevant goals. This helps to bring a balance in your lifestyle. 

Time bound- Time is an essential part of our lives and it’s fair to say that it doesn’t stop for anyone. Therefore, it is important to make the most of it. Every goal needs a target date, so that you have a deadline to focus on and something to work toward. 

Make Sleep Top Priority

With increasing demands and pressures of daily life, it is very usual for people to sacrifice their good night’s sleep. However, Sleep is one of the most critical factors, yet often overlooked. Sleep helps your body to recover from all the work your muscles have performed. It calms the mind and helps to flush out all the negative energy from your body. It has been proved by studies that skipping sleep can sabotage your efforts to lose fat through dieting. Insufficient sleep can have severe consequences, some suggest cognitive impairments and the feeling of excessive sleepiness. 

Inculcate a Healthy Diet

Your diet decides your fate. Fun fact, the word “diet” also originates from the obvious, “Greeks”. However, it holds a plausible meaning, “a way of life”. To live a healthy life, it is important to monitor your food. Adding fruits and vegetables is a perfect foundation for starting a healthy routine. Vegetables and fruits contain plenty of nutritional value that help to boost your immune system and also fight diseases. 

H20

Drinking water can be considered to be one of the most effortless activities. You can improve your health by drinking water throughout the day. Water offers the benefits of nourishment and hydration which keeps the body from feeling fatigue. Water is the base medicine of all liquids and it is the only liquid that helps to flush all the toxins out of the body. Water also enhances cardiovascular functions, energizes muscles and maintains body temperature.

Exercise

Exercising is a great way to keep fit and stay healthy throughout your lifetime. It helps to stimulate your health and maintain a balance between the mind and the body. Studies have shown that physical activity helps improve longevity and overall health. Exercising also helps you to de-stress from all your problems. It creates an environment which soothes your body and calms the soul. Indulge yourself in some kind of physical activity. Physical activity in itself is a vague term and can have infinite possibilities. So, step out and find your favorite activity. 

The body is truly the temple of the soul, and you don’t want that temple to fall apart! Give it a thought, go through your schedule, and try to include a few of these healthy habits into your lifestyle. Set your goal and work towards it. Results come slowly with time, don’t feel disheartened. You’re trying and that’s all that matters. If you keep at it with all your heart, the journey won’t feel rigorous. The starting can be a bumpy ride but don’t forget your ultimate goal. Don’t forget that the goal will always be much brighter than the path that follows it. But alongside, learn to embrace the path. Grow through what you go through along this journey and “Trust the process!” 

ECE Major, Content Writer, Graphic Designer.