Culture > News

India’s Take Off Towards Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

“Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still”

~ Carl Sagan

We, humans, have explored deep and wide, from the depths of the oceans to the highest peaks. Space, the final frontier, has captivated our imagination since time immemorial. The call of the cosmos, the curiosity to know more about our origin, and what secrets lie hidden in the vastness of the universe is the driving force for space explorations. The world witnessed magic, in July 1969, the historic moment when humans landing on the moon not only upped the morale of Americans but also served as a reminder of our innate desire to explore and push the boundaries of knowledge. In the same pursuit of this cosmic quest, India launched its ambitious moon missions, demonstrating frugal cost and indigenous technology.

Venturing into space is costly, technologically difficult, and dangerous. But again, success brings us joy something which lifts our spirits.

For a long time, the US has dominated the space sector, both in terms of technology and economics. Although NASA and other government interests continue to fuel scientific advancements in the US, the stakes for private firms with headquarters in the US, have risen significantly, and are now playing a much larger role in the space sector. With $62 billion of spending for its space programs in 2022, the US government’s space budget exceeded the $41 billion spent by all other governments combined.

However, the US dominance in space is being challenged. With a spending of $12 billion in 2022, China, at second position, aims to rival or surpass the US in space leadership by 2045, and is making steady progress in that direction. China’s space ambition is driven by its geopolitical intent of dislodging the US primacy in the world. According to the Space Foundation, the global space economy has already reached a value of US$ 546 billion in the second quarter of 2023, which is a 91 percent increase in value over the past decade. With $4.90 billion from Japan, $4.20 from France, and $3.42 from Russia in 2022, it is clear that these governments invested a significant amount of money in their space agency.  India is also rapidly expanding its space sector, including 140 start-ups in the industry. India spent $1.90 billion the previous year. By 2025, it is anticipated that India’s space industry will be worth $13 billion.

Chandrayan 3 has placed India in the current race to establish a permanent lunar base and prepared for exploring new space frontiers with its New Space Policy, future missions like Aditya-L1 to study the Sun, Gaganyaan, and upcoming expeditions to Mars and beyond.

India became the first nation to successfully land a spacecraft close to the lunar south pole and the fourth nation after the United States, Russia (the former Soviet Union), and China to soft-land on the Moon on August 23, 2023. The success of Chandrayaan-3 exemplifies Indian scientists’ unwavering pursuit of endurance and brilliance, as well as its advancing space and cutting-edge technological prowess. It serves as the foundation for India’s grandiose missions in its outer space programs. Chandrayan-3 will have far-reaching effects on India, including scientific advancement, international cooperation, economic gains, and the intense geopolitics that could spill out into space.

Just as India’s Chandrayaan-3 becomes the first to successfully touch down on the moon’s south pole on Wednesday, just days after Russia’s mission failed, a surprise budget comparison between Christopher Nolan’s blockbuster film “Interstellar” and India’s Chandrayaan-3 mission has been generated by a recent tweet. The tweet, which received a lot of attention, noted that Chandrayaan-3’s $75 million budget is far less than the $165 million allotted for the film’s development. For Chandrayaan-2, its predecessor, the idiom “A space film costs more than an actual mission” was aptly used. Intriguingly, this sentiment still holds true for Chandrayaan-3, as the mission’s expenses have surpassed a staggering 615 crores in Indian currency. In comparison, ‘Interstellar,’ the cinematic journey into the depths of space, directed by Christopher Nolan, exceeded a whopping 1000 crores in production costs. This eye-opening contrast has captured the attention of users on X (formerly Twitter), including none other than Elon Musk, who happens to be the owner of the platform. Musk’s response was succinct: “Good for India,” accompanied by a tricolor flag emoji.

https://x.com/Newsthink/status/1693627572406350288?s=20

In this surprising financial revelation, the world witnesses the dedication and cost-efficiency of ISRO in its relentless pursuit of exploring the moon, even in the face of extravagant cinematic budgets.

Here are some major benefits the success of Chandrayan3 offers to India:

1. Elite Lunar Landing Achievement: Chandrayaan-3’s successful soft landing on the Moon will establish India as part of an exclusive club alongside the US, Russia, and China. This achievement will showcase India’s prowess in space exploration and engineering.

2. Boosting National and Economic Pride: The successful completion of Chandrayaan-3 will boost India’s national pride as it demonstrates the country’s technological capabilities and advancements in space exploration. It will also have positive impacts on India’s economy, attracting more investments in the space sector.

3. Enhanced Global Reputation: The Chandrayaan-3 mission will enhance India’s global reputation in the field of space exploration and scientific research. It will solidify India’s position as a leading player in space missions, garnering respect and recognition from the international community.

4. Technological Advancement: Chandrayaan-3 will contribute to technological advancements in various sectors, including space research, engineering, and communication. The mission will drive innovation and foster the development of new technologies, which can be used in other industries.

5. Scientific Discoveries: Chandrayaan-3 will provide valuable data and insights into the moon’s geology, mineralogy, and environment, contributing to our understanding of space and the universe.

6. Economic Growth and Job Creation: The space sector is known for its potential to fuel economic growth. Chandrayaan-3 will create opportunities for research, development, and manufacturing, creating jobs and promoting economic activity in related industries.

7. Education and Inspiration: The mission will inspire and captivate the imagination of young Indians, encouraging them to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). It will promote science education and play a significant role in nurturing the next generation of scientists and astronauts.

Aditi Thakur is a 2nd year Computer Science student at Manipal University Jaipur. She deeply believes in less perfection and more authenticity. She is usually spilling her entire personal life online through her different Instagram accounts but is the biggest introvert in person. Give her access to K-pop, k-dramas and books and she might even survive an apocalypse.