This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

“World is made up of stories, not atoms.”

Muriel Rukeyser

I recently saw a post on Instagram that said, “In the end, I’m going to be a collection of stories to tell, because there’s going to be a story for my every way of being.” Which brought me to this quote. Within the vast tapestry of human existence, our identities are merely an amalgamation of the narratives we piece together from the events, encounters, and relationships that mold us.

We frequently forget that our identities are not static, fluid beings living in a culture that values creativity and the idea of being fully self-made. Instead, they are dynamic, flexible, and ever-changing. The people we meet, the locations we visit, and the experiences we have all have an impact on who we become. Consider this: every individual we come into contact with, no matter for what time or significance, leaves an imprint on us. We take in fragments of their perspectives, personalities, and eccentricities. We learn from their successes and setbacks, happiness and sadness. And by doing so, we continue to weave our identities into a larger and layered tapestry. But what about the concept of originality? Is it less authentic to be a patchwork quilt of stories? In my opinion, it’s the other way around. Our ability to synthesize diverse influences and experiences is what makes each of us truly original.

Our experiences also demonstrate our adaptability, resiliency, and potential for development. They remind us of the myriad ways in which we have overcome challenges, embraced change, and forged connections with others. Our tales are living, breathing narratives that continue to influence us in the present and lead us into the future; they are not just fragments of our past.

Consider the tale of your own development and transformation. Everybody has times in their lives when they are up against obstacles that strain them to the breaking point. Every challenge we face, whether it’s conquering a fear, pursuing a passion, or coming to accept ourselves, and the people we face it with, adds a new layer to us.
Perhaps being made up of stories isn’t such a bad thing. Ultimately, these stories are what unite us and bond us to the common experience of what it means to be human. These stories also hold the ability to bring people together and serve as a constant reminder that we are all a part of something bigger than ourselves in a world where it can sometimes feel divided and fractured.

Here’s to appreciating the tales that shape who we are, to cherishing the patchwork quilt of our identities, and to seeing the beauty in the diversity of human experience.

After all, these stories are what add hues to our existence in the monochromatic canvas of life.

I'm currently pursuing Btech in Computer Science and engineering at Manipal University Jaipur. My academic journey revolves around a commitment to Computer Science, where I blend theoretical knowledge with a passion for critical thinking. Engaging in diverse extracurriculars, I aim for a holistic development that extends beyond the classroom. Beyond the academic and professional realms, I find joy in Reading, Writing, Drawing and Athletics .These pursuits offer a creative balance to my structured academic life.