Style > Beauty

How to establish a healthy hair care routine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Establishing a hair care routine that you actually follow seems like a challenging task. It’s because we all want to do it but either we’re too lazy or we lack the information. The process of finding that one routine that’s easy to follow and suits your hair type can take ages. But once you do find it, you’ll rarely stray. 

There are 4 types of hair: Straight, Curly, Coily or Wavy. Each type needs different and specific routines. However, there are some things that can be done to all types of hair to enhance quality. 

The following tips are independent of the hair type:

1. Wash regularly:

Washing your hair is a necessity because it removes dead skin and product residue without striping the hair of all its natural oils. If your hair is not washed regularly then there will be a build up of sebum, which leaves unwanted oiliness.

2. Comb your hair:

Detangling of hair on a regular basis is beneficial because it stops the hair from breakage and its really going to make your life a whole lot easier. 

Its important to choose your comb according to your hair type so that you don’t damage your hair. 

3. Haircuts:

Getting a haircut is always a sad activity because its takes a lot of patience to grow your hair. However, what we don’t realise is that getting your hair cut regularly is actually something that makes your hair grow faster. So, get your hair trimmed at least once in every few months. 

4. Treat your hair:

Our hair are subjected to really bad weather, dust etc, everyday. If you don’t want your hair quality to deteriorate, then you must dedicate some time, on a regular basis, to treat your hair. 

It could be with oiling, hair masks- purchased or home made like: honey, egg and apple cider vinegar mask or cinnamon and coconut oil mask or egg white and lemon mask or avocado, egg and olive oil mask, etc. 

5. Limit your use of hair products:

Styling your hair with products like a curler, straightener or blow dryer can be extremely fun. But doing it often is likely to cause immense damage to your hair. It might lead to breakage, dullness and dryness.

Constantly juggling between her varied passions ranging from women empowerment and world economics to acting and dancing. An avid reader and an intellectually curious being, Kriti Chaube is currently pursuing her Btech in Computer and Communications Engineering at Manipal University, Jaipur.