This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Friendship breakups can really hit you where it hurts. You know, it’s like you’re going through a tough breakup, but without all the romantic drama. It’s a different kind of pain. I remember when my friend and I drifted apart. We used to be inseparable, but life took us in different directions, and it just wasn’t the same. It’s tough because you question yourself – did I do something wrong? Could I have been a better friend? It’s a time for self-reflection, no doubt.

One thing I’ve learned is that it’s okay to feel hurt and confused. It’s a natural reaction when you lose a close friend. What’s important is not to be too hard on yourself. You might replay past conversations and moments in your head, wondering if there were signs you missed. But remember, friendships evolve, and sometimes they just fizzle out. It doesn’t necessarily mean you did something wrong.

But I’ve learned a few things about how to deal with them:

• Allow yourself to grieve! It’s important to acknowledge your pain and allow yourself to feel it fully. Don’t try to bottle up your emotions or pretend that you’re not hurting.
  • Talk to someone you trust. Talking to a friend, family member, or therapist can help you process your emotions and start to heal.
  • Don’t beat yourself up! It’s easy to blame yourself for a friendship breakup, but it’s important to remember that it takes two people to build and maintain a friendship.
  • Focus on the positive. Think about all the other good friendships in your life, and make time for the people who make you happy.
  • Give yourself time. It takes time to heal from a friendship breakup. Don’t expect to feel better overnight.

Seeking advice from others who’ve been through similar situations can be really helpful. They can offer insights and strategies for coping. It’s like having a support group of friends who’ve got your back. Talking it out can be therapeutic and help you gain new perspectives.

And when it comes to your former friend, if the door is open, consider having an honest conversation. Maybe there were misunderstandings or unspoken feelings. But if it’s best to part ways, that’s okay too. Sometimes, friendships run their course, and it’s healthier for both parties to move on separately.

In the end, dealing with friendship breakups is a personal journey. It’s a time to be gentle with yourself, reflect on what you’ve learned, and cherish the friends who are still by your side. Remember, you’re not alone, and there’s a whole community of friends out there who understand what you’re going through.

My dream is to explore India and use my privilege to fix what is broken within our societies - concentrating on Gender Equality. I talk about films, the sky, and iced tea on Twitter.