Life > Academics

Four Ways to Maintain Your Grades While Having a Social Life at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.
  • Utilize your breaks properly

Instagram is addictive, we get that. It’s fun to log into your account and scroll through the latest developments in your friends’ lives. But you know what would be even more fun? Being a part of these developments. And that is possible only when you’re done with your academic work (assuming you actually care about your grades and education). So go on and utilize those 15 minutes in getting some work done. It may not seem like much but three 15 breaks used for solving a couple of math problems are gonna mean 45 more minutes of free time after class. Use those 45 minutes to just relax, or socialize at that time- that’s totally your call. But as long as you are really burnt out by work, make sure to be productive in the breaks between classes.

• Do Daily Revisions

Revising a topic the same day it is discussed in class might seem a bit redundant but in the long run, it will help you save precious weekend time. When you reread your class notes at the end of the day, the course material is still fresh in your head. This allows you to cover up more material in a lesser amount of time and affixes the subject matter inside your mind. You are more likely to recognize your doubts and get them cleared sooner, rather than being stuck the day before an important test. Your night hours get saved that way and a good night’s sleep keeps you refreshed to socialize with the community in the day.

• Make sure to set targets: and stick to them!

The system of using targets and incentives is a great way to put yourself in a position where you don’t shirk from work. Using socializing time as an incentive to get stuff done works wonders for many. This is a quite simple strategy where you set achievable academic goals (say, finish revising one chapter within the next two hours) and then reward yourself with time to socialize. This will not only help you accomplish your goals but also keep you accountable as you won’t end up wasting time hanging out with folks when you don’t need the refreshments and distractions.

• Join clubs and student societies

Universities and colleges have clubs for a reason. They are a place for like-minded people to interact in an academic setting. Joining clubs is extremely beneficial as they are often low commitment and provide you with a platform to find peers who have shared interests. Mutual interests often lead to committed comraderies. Clubs act as social avenues which neither consume too much of your time, nor demand too much from you. Once every couple of weeks, you get an hour or two to relish something you love deeply. This will help you from indulging too much in those areas while you are supposed to be studying.

Socializing is a very, very important part of college life. It is at this stage of life that you may find friends that will stand with you throughout your lives, and so it is important to reach out. Yet, making your grades suffer for this is far less than acceptable. Thus, make sure to enjoy your time, but be mindful at the same time!

Vrinda Kohli is an eighteen years old Computer Science Engineering student at Manipal University Jaipur. She likes to binge read in her scarce spare time.