HC Homepage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
HC Homepage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Expressive Echoes: What’s MUJ Listening To?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.
CPL Sections DOCUMENTS?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

On 12th September 2023, HerCampus at MUJ hosted its first physical event of the year, Expressive Echoes!

First things first, HerCampus is an ✨International Editorial✨ that has a chapter right here, in MUJ. We write articles about empowerment (and other fun stuff :p). Yes, yes, we’re aware the name says HERcampus, but we’re here to empower all genders! (Just like “common man” refers to people of any gender (!!). Grain of salt, please, and thank you<3). Now onto your scheduled program. :))

At 9:00 AM, a group of Barbies and Kens were spotted at the Old Mess in MUJ, struggling to set up what looked like their chapter’s flex (They succeeded, don’t worry!). 

flex in question- re: slide 01
also the ✨Baribies and Kens✨ on slide 05

At nearly 9:30 AM they created a small and contained commotion to set their table up which piqued the interest of a few drowsy students resenting their morning class schedule (same though) and a few professors popped by to ask what they were doing.

At almost 10:00 AM a swarm of these Barbies seemed to be spreading themselves into the crowd, handing out cutesy notes to people calling them to visit the HerCampus desk.

notes on the bottom left corner! slide twooo

But what exactly was happening here?!

HerCampus at MUJ was playing a ~free~ game of Never Have I Ever, where the guests pulled out a question and placed a fingerprint of red paint onto our canvas for ‘I Have’ and green for ‘I Have Not’. 

we kinda drifted away from the whole colour scheme in the end hehe (slide 2 :p)

When they moved over to the other end of the desk, they would find a board covered in sticky notes of people telling HerCampus who their favourite artist was, or how music had affected them, or just left behind some bomb song recommendations! 

some cuties leaving us recs on slide 06!

Our personal experience from the event was heartwarming, to say the least! Some people left the most passionate notes for their favourite artists and it gave us a very human perspective to all the chaos in this world.

Here are some of our favourite quotes!

“Keshi healed me in a way I thought no one could. His songs just hit every time. My favourite one has been ‘BESIDE YOU’ so far. I recommend everyone to check him out <3[sic].”

Anonymous

“Namma Chennai Pola Vera Oore Ile”

Lyric by Anirudh Ravichander (Namma Chennai Chance-ey illa)

^The song was made by Anirudh Ravichander based on a TOI event, “The Times Of India Celebrate The Unique Nuances Of Chennai” (kind of a full circle moment here hehe).

“To Twenty One Pilots T-T

I’ll never be able to thank them enough. You saved me, Josh and Tyler. You don’t understand how much  of love cliques have for you. I never want to stop listening to them. Stay Alive \-/[sic]”

Anonymous

“I started playing the guitar outta my love for Kurt Cobain <3. I started when I was 12 and he was 27. I’m 18 now, and he’s still 27. Love that man.
NIRVANA TAUGHT ME TO LIVE[sic]”

Julio <3

~Loving You~

Was broken hearted when I first met you.
What I felt was something familiar, 
Yet completely new.’
You changed my life like no one.
Didn’t do anything new yet
Everyday became fun.
It was a bit sad realising that
I’m in love; what if you start to hate.
But now, it’s too late.
I would be Shiva, 
Will you be Sati?
‘Cause I want to keep loving to for eternity

Gautam Harman

^WE EVEN GOT A POEM?? T^T

“Bro Taylor Swift is MOTHER, bring the ERAS TOUR to India!!![sic]”

Anonymous

^WE AGREE!!! (Special shoutout to everyone calling Taylor Swift out MOTHER!! <33)

“Lana Del Rey is the queen of aesthetics!!! A godess of sadness <3
Not everyone gets Lana because not everyone can. Queen Mother fr[sic].”

Anonymous

“I love LESSERAFIM, a phenomenal group imo. If reasrranged [the name] spells I’M FEARLESS. They have many songs about being themselves, fearless, good in bad,etc[sic]! <3"

Dhanusri

“When we are happy, we notice the beats & when we are sad, we notice the lyrics of the song[sic].”

Nidhi

“Music is a universal language, it brings people together. Music is happy, it’s remorseful. Music is a friend to laugh with, a shoulder to cry on. It’s the one thing humanity understands altogether <3[sic].”

Anonymous

We love how adorable you are, MUJ!💖

Here are all the notes we received!

"Even all the scars from your mistakes make up your constellation." -BTS (Answer: Love Myself) My day job is being a full-time B. Tech CSE student at Manipal University Jaipur, while my more so evening-time-job is being the Editor-in-Chief at this chapter. I occasionally dabble in expressing my opinions in literary form. I'm an ardent supporter of feminism, especially in the LGBTQ+ community. I'm passionate about making my mark by creating a voice for things I care for. In my free time- I enjoy reading, writing poetry, and basking in over-analysed fan theories and song lyrics. What can I say? I disguise my covert narcissism as altruism :)