This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

ℂ?????

Set in the city of Florida, Capone is a 2020 American biographical crime film written, directed, and edited by Josh Trank, with Tom Hardy starring as the notorious gangster Al Capone, also referred to as “Fonse” or “Al” in the film. Capone was the head of a crime syndicate and rose to infamy in the 1920s during the prohibition era. Convicted of tax evasion, Capone is sentenced to Alcatraz prison for being held guilty of embezzlement. Due to his consequential health conditions, he is allowed to live under house arrest. This film is nothing more but an ardent depiction of Al’s retired life, suffering from full-blown dementia and neurosyphilis.

Capone is a curmudgeonly old fella with bloody red eyes and a snarling croak voice. The neurological symptoms disabled him to think and process. Hardy’s exceptional acting does great justice to the film. The film is not what most viewers will be expecting but the character sketch of the aging Capone by Josh Trank makes this a very intriguing and outrageous journey with a running time of 103 minutes.

Hardy is known for his versatile acting and his ability to adapt and consume a character completely from the voice to body language. Every minute detail has been captured and depicted.

ⓋⒺⓇⒹⒾⒸⓉ: A claustrophobic clutter of madness and delusion. Josh Trank’s “Capone” has a bitter flavor and a frowzy tone but it oozes its way into the hearts of the viewers leaving a cavernous impact. Tom Hardy is back with a somber, grieving, and resplendent analysis of a gangster legend.

IMDb: 5.8/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 39%

??? ????????

Set in the United States of America, The Irishman is a 2019 crime film directed and produced by Martin Scorsese starring three phenomenal actors; Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, and Joe Pesci who are known for their versatile acting and dialogue deliveries. Scorsese has been acknowledged as the greatest American filmmaker of his generation and has been successful in establishing a place of stature for himself in the film culture.

The film is set during the 1950s and it revolves around the life of Frank Sheeran (Robert De Niro), a WWII veteran who settled to live an ordinary life as a truck driver until he meets Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci), an Italian-American mobster who became the crime boss of the Northeastern- Pennsylvania crime family known as the Bufalino crime family. Scorsese portrays the life story of Frank Sheeran, a truck driver turned into a mafia enforcer and later becoming the right-hand man to union boss Jimmy Hoffa (Al Pacino). Hoffa is a union activist who has been portrayed as a deeply conceited and paranoid person who claimed to be the union leader. His self-proclaimed power and arrogance led to the conflict that arises amongst the “???????” and leads to the end of an empire.

This is Scorsese’s longest narrative film. The ending of the film is what stands out and leaves the viewers in fascination with the movie. Nobody ends the movie like Martin Scorsese. Since the earliest days of his career, his prosperous obscurity and agreement in his conclusions make his movies impeccable, and “The Irishman” happens to be one of them.

ⓋⒺⓇⒹⒾⒸⓉ:

??? ???? ?? ? ?????- ??? ????-???? ?????????, ?????? ??? ??????? ? ????????? ??? ????????????????????? ??????????. ???????? ???? ?????? ?????????? ??? ????? ?? ?????????? ??? ??????? ?? ?????????? ?????? “????? ???????” ??? ???? ??? ???????? ??? ?????????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???? ????????? ??? ????????.

IMDb: 7.9/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 95%

?????? ???

Set in Boston, Knives Out is a 2019 American mystery film written and directed by Rian Johnson. The film has a playful, witty yet mischievous theme to it. It is a carefully plotted film belonging to the “whodunnit” genre and the mystery changes halfway through the film. A film belonging to the “whodunnit” genre revolves around a story about a murder in which the identity of the murderer is not revealed until the end. After the success of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson’s Knives Out stood out immensely. The film has a puissant and dynamic set of characters.

The film features an ensemble cast including renowned actors such as Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Lakeith Stanfield, and Christopher Plummer. The film revolves around the circumstances that arise due to the death of crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer), an old wise man living in a huge mansion with his family. Harlan was turning 85 but his birthday celebrations are blemished after he is discovered to be dead and bloodied in his bed. With no clues left behind by the murderer; it becomes apparent that the director had more daggers and clues on his mind.

The murder mystery of Harlan Thrombey was investigated by French detective “Benoit Blanc” (Daniel Craig). Blanc’s investigation leaves everyone in the dysfunctional and nonadaptive family as a suspect for the murder of their old man. Daniel Craig’s “Benoit Blanc” is a phenomenal character that stands out for his speech mannerisms and endearing masculine traits. Blanc is an enjoyable and chucklesome creation who seems to have been mustered from the pages of an antique novel.

ⓋⒺⓇⒹⒾⒸⓉ:

A mesmerizing story with unanticipated and uncanny plot twists that readily catches the attention of the viewer throughout the film.  A major crowd-pleaser, as the story unravels itself it leaves the viewers intrigued and pleased until the series of conundrums are resolved.

IMDb: 7.9/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

??? ?????????? ???????

Set in the city of Manhattan, “The Basketball Diaries” is a 1995 American biographical crime drama film directed by Scott Kalvert based on the life of Jim Caroll, author, and poet. Jim grew up on the lower east end of New York-born in a family of Irish descent. Jim (Leonardo Dicaprio) was 13, studying in a Catholic High school with his three friends. During his high school life, Jim was a bright young fellow with a desire and intent to play college ball, and on the sideline was a passionate writer. Jim wrote about his observations about life and his dignity expedition through drugs. Jim was determined, unlike his friends, who were ignorant and misguided young schmucks; running the streets of New York.

Their comradeship did him no good at all, their habits consumed him from the inside. Sadly, It was too late until he realized. His entire life blemished in front of his eyes as he picked up the rolled dollar bill and snorted the first line of sweet nose candy. Dicaprio’s acting was quite controversial, just like his role. In catching Jim’s demons; from notorious pranks to assaulting people on the streets, DiCaprio makes this film a rollercoaster ride filled with numerous ups and downs.

Life for Jim became a downward spiral of pills, cough medicine, booze, assaulting old women, stealing cars, and passing out during games. Jim goes from shooting hoops on the streets to residing with fellow comrades at “the headquarters”; home on and off to every down-and-out junkie and wino from the 14th street to the Bowery.

ⓋⒺⓇⒹⒾⒸⓉ: Jim’s baptism of heroin with the rejection of Catholicism depicts the consequences of his decisions that lead to an onerous and back-breaking battle against drugs and crime. 

IMDb: 7.3/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 45%

ECE Major, Content Writer, Graphic Designer.
Sometimes you’ll find me spending the entire day outdoors and at other times buried in a book, there’s no fix really. An engineer in the making.