Life > Experiences

Balancing Act: Parenting Amid Academic Pressure

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

In the complex web of parent-child relationships, academic expectations weave a significant thread. The expectations parents hold regarding their children’s academic performance can profoundly influence the dynamics within the family unit. From shaping communication patterns to impacting emotional well-being, these expectations play a pivotal role in nurturing or straining parent-child bonds.

Children might feel like they need to live up to these expectations to earn their parents’ approval or avoid disappointing them.

Parents naturally want their children to do well in school because they believe it will help them succeed later in life. This desire for their children’s success can lead parents to have certain expectations about their academic performance. For example, parents might hope that their children will get top grades, attend prestigious schools, or choose specific careers they believe will lead to success. While these expectations come from a place of love and concern, they can sometimes unintentionally create pressure on children. When children feel the weight of their parents’ expectations, it can affect how they see themselves and how they interact with their parents. This dynamic can influence the parent-child relationship, as children may feel stressed or burdened by the pressure to meet their parents’ expectations, while parents may struggle to balance supporting their children’s goals with avoiding placing too much pressure on them.

The impact of parental academic expectations on children’s emotional well-being is profound, as it involves the delicate balance between achievement and self-worth. While striving for academic success can foster a sense of accomplishment and pride, excessive pressure to meet parental expectations can take a toll on children’s mental and emotional health. When children internalize the belief that their worth is tied solely to their academic performance, they may experience heightened levels of stress, anxiety, and even depression. This pressure to excel academically can create a constant sense of unease and fear of failure, leading children to prioritize external validation over their own intrinsic sense of worth. As a result, their self-esteem may become contingent upon meeting or exceeding parental expectations, leaving them vulnerable to feelings of inadequacy or unworthiness when they fall short. Moreover, the emphasis on achievement above all else can overshadow other aspects of children’s identities and well-being. They may neglect their interests, passions, and personal growth in pursuit of academic success, further compromising their emotional resilience and sense of fulfillment.

This pressure to excel academically can create a constant sense of unease and fear of failure, leading children to prioritize external validation over their own intrinsic sense of worth.

Parents play a crucial role in supporting their children’s academic endeavors while affirming their inherent value as individuals. By fostering an environment where mistakes are seen as opportunities for learning and growth, rather than reflections of inadequacy, parents can help their children develop a healthy relationship with success and failure. This involves reframing setbacks as part of the learning process, celebrating effort and progress, and emphasizing the importance of self-care and holistic well-being.

One of the biggest concerns is the huge gap between what parents expect from their child and what really happens at home. This discrepancy is often the root of conflict in a family. Bridging that gap isn’t necessarily about having fewer expectations; it’s about recognizing that expectations are a two-way street. Children and adolescents, too, have certain expectations of parents. And when both sides respect the other’s expectations, and communicate their own, it creates an environment of openness and conversation. Kids will confide more, and parents will have more influence on kids.

While the child is expected to share, children are not often involved in family discussions, and they are rarely at the receiving end of everyday issues and information.

Children are actively engaging socially, too, and develop their own belief systems and ideas — it is their way of asserting power and constructing and communicating their identity. Therefore, sometimes, a clash of expectations may actually be a conflict of beliefs and ideas. Other times, it is a clash of perceived familial roles; children wish to share important events from their lives with parents, but they also expect parents to involve them in family decision-making. Sharing within the family must be a two-way street, but unfortunately, it is usually only one-way: top-down. While the child is expected to share, children are not often involved in family discussions, and they are rarely at the receiving end of everyday issues and information.

It isn’t always easy to recognize the validity of children’s expectations, and parents often worry that doing so may lead children to start making entitled demands.

• LISTEN RATHER THAN HEAR: This involves non-judgmentally listening to your child’s thoughts and ideas. For this purpose, create regular spaces for your child to be able to voice their ideas and opinions on matters that affect them. When you disagree, say, “I hear you. Let me take some time to understand your perspective and we will discuss this tonight.” This helps you to respond, rather than react.
  • DON’T MAKE DECISIONS WITHOUT ASKING: Before you make a decision that will impact your child’s life, ask them for their thoughts, perspectives, and expectations. Telling or directly communicating your decision takes away the child’s agency and voice as an independent thinker.
  • ASK WITH GENUINE CURIOSITY: Questions like Why do you want to do this? What made you interested in doing this? How do you plan to go about it? Can you tell me more about it? Such questions convey to your child that your expectations and questions stem from a sense of curiosity or concern and not from distrust or entitlement.
  • EMPATHIZE: Sometimes when children put across their expectations, it may seem like rebellious behavior and defiance. At such times, pause and place yourself in your child’s position and experience all the challenges, pressures and messages that your child may be receiving from different sources. Understanding does not mean giving in. It only means that you’re ready to take the first few steps required to reach common ground.
Aditi Thakur is a 2nd year Computer Science student at Manipal University Jaipur. She deeply believes in less perfection and more authenticity. She is usually spilling her entire personal life online through her different Instagram accounts but is the biggest introvert in person. Give her access to K-pop, k-dramas and books and she might even survive an apocalypse.