4 SOUTH INDIAN DIRECTORS WHOSE MOVIES WILL GIVE YOU A ZEST FOR INDIAN CINEMA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

India has one of the world’s greatest film cultures, which has been underappreciated and even unknown to many for many years, but it’s a delight to see people all over the world turning their heads toward India today after seeing SS Rajamouli’s films. Until recently, the Indian film industry was known as “Bollywood” to the general public. Many people are unaware that India has multiple industries, and with southern Indian films gaining a lot of attention in recent days, it is only fair to learn more about these legendary south Indian directors who have done a phenomenal job all this time and shown us all the ‘art’ that film making is.

1.S.S RAJAMOULI

S.S Rajamouli, best known for his films “RRR”, “Bahubali Part 1 and 2”, and “Eega”, is the man who bridged the gap between Bollywood (the Hindi cinema) and southern film industries such as “Tollywood (the Telugu cinema), Kollywood (the Tamil cinema), Mollywood (the Malayalam cinema), and sandalwood (the Kannada cinema), making him the ‘original PAN India filmmaker. He is a visionary, and the screenplay, emotion, and jaw-dropping sequences in his films have never failed at capturing peoples hearts.

This man has the ability to make a wonderful film out of anything; he could choose something as insignificant as a fly and make people gasp. He brings out the best in his actors, and many actors now wish to play a small or large role in one of his films. He has directed 12 films to date, all of which have been box-office successes. He has never had a flop, and one of the main reasons for that is that he strives for perfection and constantly breaks his records. In 2022, he received the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Director and the Padma Shri in 2016.

2. K.VISHWANATH(1930-2023)

K.Vishwanath, a well-known director, was a pivotal figure in shaping Telugu cinema. His films enchant the senses and provide unparalleled entertainment. He believed that the art of filmmaking should be used for more than just entertainment. With his best works such as Sankarabharanam, Saagara sangamam, Swathi kiranam, and many others, he demonstrated to audiences how movies have the power to change people and shape society. His films were as sacred as temples, and his audience were devout followers.

His recent death is a devastating blow to the industry and the audience. He received the Padma Shri in 1992, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2017, and many other honors during his lifetime. He is possibly one of the few directors who has made films with no explicitly vulgar scenes. His stories were so compelling that they instilled a love of the arts, such as music and dance, in many Indian and foreign households during a time when there was no internet. The man had died, but his films will live on in perpetuity.

3. MANI RATNAM

Mani Ratnam is yet another well-known director from the south whose films viewers watch repeatedly while yet feeling as though they are seeing them for the first time. Nearly 42 movies have been written and directed by him, and he has continued to win over audiences. He did not spare any detail, whether it be in a romance, thriller, political drama, or work of historical fiction. He is a well-known director best known for the films “Roja,” “Bombay,” and “Raavan,” and he is one of the filmmakers who first piqued people’s interest in cinema.

He won numerous national and international accolades throughout his career, including the Padma Shri in 2002. The Netflix series “Navarasa” and one of his most recent works, “Ponniyin Selvan,” have both received a great deal of notice in India. But, to me at least, none of these come to mind when someone mentions Mani Ratnam. When we consider Mani Ratnam’s films, we think of love, music, and the distinctive way he shapes them together to keep the audience so enthralled. His films continue to stand out in an era where hundreds, if not thousands, of romance films are produced, and for that sincerity in his ideas, he deserves praise.

4. K. BALA CHANDRAN(1930-2014)

Director K. Bala Chandran is popularly known for his movies Rudraveena, Maro charithra, Thanneer Thanneer. He wowed audiences with his accomplished works by utilising uncommon subjects and offering a singular viewpoint on relationships.

In 1987, he received the Padma Shri, and in 2011, he received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, among other national honors. In reality, he gained a lot of admiration for the way he presented women as protagonists in his films decades ago, displaying such power, independence, and bravery. The characters in his films have depth. Depth, and essence that were sometimes difficult to understand, unlike many movies made recently.

Although each of these directors has an own aesthetic and set of beliefs, they all have a love of music. Evidently, their most effective strategy for retaining people’ attention is music. The director is responsible for bringing out the best in each artist, and music is the ideal medium to tell a story with deep values and all of these filmmakers have been highly successful in that regard. With M.M. Keeravani’s triumph for “Best Original Song” for NAATU NAATU at the Golden Globes, history was made, kindling a passion for Indian cinema around the globe and for the south Indian director who made it happen.

Harika is an engineering student at MUJ who is driven by an insatiable thirst for knowledge, a profound love for writing, and an unwavering passion for the world of finance. With an ambitious spirit and an unyielding dedication, she aspires to become a formidable businesswoman, poised to make a profound impact on the global stage.