Culture > News

Why This Year’s Midterm Elections Are So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

In the United States, many people don’t see voting as important unless it’s the presidential election. This, frankly, is inaccurate. The midterm elections, which are held every four years in the middle of a president’s term, are a chance for people to elect new members to the Senate and House of Representatives. It can help new people get into office, where they can introduce new ideas and opinions. The results of the November 6th  election will quite literally shape how the US will be run for the next several years.

And why is this?

This year a near record of House members are not seeking reelection. In total, all 435 seats of the House are open as well as 35 of the 100 Senate seats. Also, 36 states are electing new governors. Currently, the Republican Party holds the majority in the House and Senate, so they have the advantage when it comes to policymaking.

However, with a large number of seats up for grabs in both the House and Senate, it is entirely possible for Democrats to flip one or both of the houses. It would be much easier for the Democrats to gain the majority in the House, where they only need a net gain of 24 seats, rather than the Senate, where they would need to win 28 of the 35 available seats in order to gain a majority.

If the Democrats manage to secure a majority in at least one of the houses, then it would be easier for them to move to counter moves the Republican Party attempts to make, such as the dismantling of the Affordable Care Act, more popularly known as Obamacare. It also would give them a better chance at blocking court nominations, especially that of Brett Kavanaugh, who not only would work to undo strides taken concerning women’s health, but was also was recently accused of sexually assaulting Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, a current professor at Palo Alto University in California.

What else is there?

More women than ever are running for office this election season. Already 256 women have won House and Senate primaries, a tremendous record.  These history makers include:

• Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (New York’s 14th congressional district) who would be the youngest woman elected to Congress

• Stacey Abrams (Governor, Georgia) who would be America’s first black female governor

• Lupe Valdez (Governor, Texas) who would be Texas’ first Latina and openly gay governor

• Deb Haaland (New Mexico’s 1st congressional district) would be the first Native American woman elected to Congress

• Christine Hallquist (Governor, Vermont) would be the nation’s first transgender governor

• And many others

Voting is always important, no matter what seats are up for grabs. However, this year, with its near-record number of open seats and historical primary victories, will determine the path the United States will take for the next few years. So, make sure you’re registered to vote and get out there on November 6th to make sure your voice is heard.

See who’s up for reelection by consulting your state’s party website or go here.

See if you’re registered to vote here

Muhlenberg '19 Spanish Language and Literature major on the Pre-med track. Hobbies include listening to music, Netflix, and debunking scientific myths