This Week on the Field: Ben McAdoo is Out of NY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

With a consecutive regular season start streak of 210 games, Eli Manning’s record came to end this part Sunday after he sat the bench against the Oakland Raiders. Ben McAdoo, Giants coach, ended the two-time Super Bowl Champion and MVP’s streak and replaced him with the (average) second-string quarterback Geno Smith. This was the first time in thirteen years that Eli Manning has been benched rather than starting on the field.  He was the only inactive NFL player to have that many consecutive starts. It was a sad day for those who are Giants’ fans to watch their quarterback go through that.

The outcome of this controversial decision?

They still lost, 24-17, even with the switch, but are you honestly surprised? You decide to take a franchise quarterback out and expect to, all of a sudden, win? I don’t think that’s how it works. It is clearly not just one player’s fault that the whole team has a 2-10 record.

What’s the big deal?

While benching a record-breaking Quarterback with a mediocre (and this is at his best) quarterback, definitely makes you question the thought process that’s going on behind scenes. Ben McAdoo has led the Giants to a horrendous 2-10 season. This past week the giants were ranked as the third worse team in the NFL.

The QB replacement didn’t keep the Giants from breaking double digits in the loss category. With three of their next four games left taking place at MetLife, management should be prepared for some protests. Giant fans are not happy with the disrespect for a player as great as Manning.

What now?

Ben McAdoo was just fired after backlash from his decision to bench Manning. They also fired, general team manager, Jerry Reese. Now, the owners need to decide who will become the new coach. There are a few candidates in the works, but nothing has been decided as of today.

I’m Jordy Bonvini; I am a senior, graduating with degrees in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and Media and Communications. I love watching and playing sports.  I play on the Muhlenberg women’s lacrosse team and when I’m not on the field you can most likely find me eating pizza. 
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.