This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and you know what that means: more stress and anxiety about what to get your loved ones. People often struggle with giving gifts when the holidays come around. As a result, the holidays become a stressful time in people’s lives. This how-to-guide is sure to allow you to have a more enjoyable experience. I will guide you in deciding what gifts are acceptable and what gifts should be outright banned from your shopping lists.

Think about the kind of relationship you have with your loved one.

Is it a goofy relationship with lots of sarcasm and jokes? Or maybe it is more romantic. Depending on your answer to this question, the perfect gift for your loved one can vary. Maybe there is an inside joke you have with your person. There are a plethora of gifts to choose from.

Personalized gifts

You can get your loved one something personalized to show your creativity and thoughtfulness. Some suggestions include, but are not limited to, a Rubik’s Cube with pictures of the two of you, those Hershey chocolate bars that you can customize to have a picture with writing next to it, or a photo puzzle of your favorite picture of you two. Etsy also sells necklaces and bracelets that have hearts on them that you can customize with your valentine’s initials. These gifts will be something that they will hold on to and appreciate for a long time.

Inexpensive gifts can still show that you care.

Let’s face reality. Most of us are broke college students who can’t afford nice, pricey gifts. If this is the case, these suggestions will be heartfelt, while also not breaking the bank! The usual run-of-the-mill gift for Valentine’s Day, a box of chocolates and a teddy bear, are both adorable and inexpensive. A gift basket of all their favorite movies and junk food is also a nice, cheap way to show that you listen to them and know them well. Scented candles or lotions are always a crowd-pleaser. If your special someone loves to bake, get them heart-shaped cookie cutters.

DIY Gifts

You can create a Valentine’s Day card; if you are creative and know your way with words, you can easily swoop your valentine of their feet by writing them a poem or romantic letter. Another option is to make them homemade cookies, brownies, or cupcakes. You can also make a personalized photo frame. This may seem cheesy but creating a jar of reasons why you love them will make their heart melt.

Gifts you should definitely avoid

There are some things you should never, ever give your loved ones on Valentine’s Day. A gift card is the most impersonal gift a person can give. Never give your loved one a gym membership. This will hint that you want them to get into better shape or lose weight, which might, in turn, offend them. You know your loved one best; do not give them things they will never use. For example, if they never wear jewelry, DO NOT give them jewelry. Do not give them clothing; it is really easy to get the wrong size and they may be insulted. Lastly, NEVER give your valentine a re-gifted item.

Just remember that there is no such thing as the perfect gift. As long as it comes from the heart, your significant other is sure to love it. I hope these ideas and tips are helpful!

Noy Messinger

Muhlenberg '21

My name is Noy Messinger and I am a Sophomore double majoring in Media and Communications and History with a minor in dance. I am extremely passionate about dance. I have been dancing since I was two years old and was a participant in my high school’s performing arts dance program.  Additionally, I am passionate about history. I love learning about different cultures and discovering their pasts as well as information about my own heritage.  
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.