mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Tensions Rise in Syria After Suspicious Chemical Attack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

On Saturday, April 7th, dozens of people in Syria were killed due to a suspected chemical attack by the Bashar al-Assad regime. Both Democrats and Republicans have been wanting the U.S. military to intervene in the Syrian civil war. That was particularly a problem under the Obama administration, during which former President Obama decided not to get involved militarily. With Syria already so devastated from the civil war, it would be counter-productive for the U.S. to get involved.  

The U.S. State Department then slammed Russia for still supporting the Syrian government following the attack. There were reports that the alleged chemical weapons attack was targeting a hospital in Southern Syria, not far from Damascus. People on the ground noticed a high number of casualties, most of them being women and children.

On Monday, April 9th, On Monday, April 9, the Russian government deflected from news of the chemical attack by blaming U.S. ally ,Israel, for a missile strike on a Syrian airbase that killed several people. The reports of a chemical attack follow other instances in which Assad allegedly used chemical weapons on citizens in the ongoing Syrian Civil War, as The Atlantic has documented.

The U.S. and International governments are still in conflict of intervention within this ongoing deadly war, along with the issue of Syrian refugees. It will be a matter time who chooses war or peace.

Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.