absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Super Bowl LII: The Underdogs Have Done It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

The underdogs have done it! The Philadelphia Eagles are Super Bowl Champions for the first time in the NFL franchise history. The game on Sunday, February 4th was unlike any other. The intensity and heart that the Eagles showed their fans and their city was unbelievable.

MVP Nick Foles led the Eagles to victory by outplaying Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady, in every way possible, including as a receiver. The Eagles jumped on the Patriots quick, heading into half-time with a 22-12 lead. However, no Philly fan felt comfortable knowing the Patriots have had a good track record when it comes to orchestrating a comeback in big games. To no surprise, the Patriots took back the game with a 33-32 lead over the Eagles with just nine minutes left to play.

The game came down to the last two minutes of game time.

The Eagles took a 38-33 lead with just 2:21 left on the clock. Foles threw a pass to Ertz for the controversial touchdown. After the Eagles missed the two-point conversion, the Patriots had plenty of time to run the ball. Five-time Super Bowl Champion and league MVP, Tom Brady, fumbled the ball just twelve seconds left. This crucial move allowed the Eagles to recover the ball. The Eagles turned that fumble into three more points, taking a 41-33 lead with just under a minute to play. Tom Brady threw a Hail Mary pass into the endzone, but no Patriots players caught it and time ran out.

Nick Foles, who was regarded largely as just “a backup,” became just the second quarterback in NFL history to pull off a win over the Patriots. Philly has never been prouder.

I am a junior at Muhlenberg College and play on the Women's Basketball team. I love to hang out with my friends, family, and I have a ten year old golden retriever named Jake.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.