jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Signs You Need A Break From Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Social media can be both a blessing and a curse. Today, our world revolves around social media. We use it as a source of news, entertainment, and staying connected with one another. Although social media can benefit our lives through inspiration or staying informed, it also has its downfalls. Whether you’re an influencer or a daily user of social media platforms, it’s always smart to take a short break every now and then. Here’s how to know if it’s time for you to take a much-deserved break from your social accounts.

When you become oblivious to your surroundings, people included, that should be a sign to you to put your phone down and be in the moment. There’s so much of life that goes on around us, and it’s unfortunate that our society now feels that it’s imperative to capture every moment of it. If you find yourself staring at your phone more than the faces or the beautiful world in front of you, take a break. Sign out of your accounts for the day or longer and be present.

A major sign that you need a break from social media is if your aspirations are to obtain the lives of others. It’s hard sometimes on social media to see the lavish lifestyles of celebrities and influencers and not compare that to your life. Someone else’s life and accomplishments should not be your main goal in life. Each individual has their own purpose in this world, and trying to conform and change the fate of your life to fit a certain lifestyle is unhealthy. Sure, it’s normal to have goals and aspirations, but make those goals positive and centered around yourself. Instead of thinking, “I want to live the life of a Kardashian,” change your mentality to, “I want to work hard and make my own money after I graduate so that I can happily support myself and my lifestyle.”

If you are not being productive in your daily activities such as studying, focusing in class, driving, and so on, it may be time for you to switch off your phone. We are all guilty of scrolling through our various feeds as a “mental break” from our hard work, but when it’s beginning to impact your productivity or even your grades, consider signing off for the day.

We are all guilty of probably spending a little too much time stuck on our phones examining the lives of others. Try it with me for one day. Don’t check Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms for the entire day and see how you feel. Social media has a bigger impact on our lives than we think. By signing off for the day or longer, you won’t be missing out on anything. Our lives are unique and the moments we experience are one-of-a-kind. Don’t miss out on the magic in our lives because you’re staring at a screen. Log off and switch off.

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)!