Shows That Will Satisfy Any Social Justice Warrior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

We live in the golden age of television. The creation of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu puts the world of television right at our fingertips, making it more accessible than ever.  Though it may seem enticing to stream shows that allow us to escape our terribly mundane lives, we must uphold our social responsibility to raise our own awareness on issues that plague our world today.

So please, don’t fall into the Kardashian rabbit hole again and check out these shows instead:

1. The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)

Set in the theocratic dystopian Republic of Gilead, The Handmaid’s Tale follows the haunting story of Offred, a concubine (or “handmaid”) for a wealthy family in a world plagued with infertility. Donned in red cloaks and white winged hats, handmaids are considered to be the lowest of women in society and are forced to engage in nonconsensual sex with upper class men for the sole purpose of reproduction. The show, with its eerie cinematography, is evocative of our political climate today, where women’s reproductive rights are at stake and fake news accounts in favor of the current political power are fed to the masses. Granted, the show paints a much darker and horrifying image of America, but you’ll inevitably make direct parallels between Gilead and our world today.

2. Black-ish (ABC)

Black-ish follows the story of the Johnsons- an affluent, Black family in the suburbs of California. As an upper-middle class Black family, Dre fears that his children have become too assimilated to their white surroundings and fights for them to retain their culture. With its diverse cast, the show serves as a commentary to our political climate today, as it discusses topical issues such as racism, police brutality, homophobia and the election of Donald Trump, as well as its effects on the Black community. With its guaranteed laughs and thought-provoking messages, Black-ish will definitely not disappoint.

3. Orange Is The New Black (Netflix)

Orange Is The New Black is a departure from typical crime dramas such as Law & Order and Criminal Minds, but rather humanizes the women serving their sentences for nonviolent crimes. The show succeeds in raising public awareness surrounding our corrupt criminal justice system, focusing on mass incarceration and its detrimental effects on the marginalized community. Oh, and Laverne Cox is in it, so what more can you ask for?

4. Dear White People (Netflix)

Set in a fictional, predominantly white institution, Dear White People tackles racial tensions present in many college campuses today, including ours. The show follows the story of six Black students as they navigate the halls of Winchester University- an Ivy League breeding ground for social injustice, political incorrectness and micro-aggressions that target students of color. The show dives into topical issues, such as race, privilege and power, and is a must-see for everyone, especially those currently living in college campuses.

5. The Good Doctor (ABC)

Despite having only three episodes available for streaming, The Good Doctor shows great potential in battling ableist attitudes that persist both in mass media as well as in our society today. Based on a Korean television drama, The Good Doctor tells the story of Dr. Shaun Murphy, an autistic surgical resident at the prestigious San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital. With his mentor as his advocate, he fights to prove that he is just as capable as the other doctors in his program, despite the great obstacles that lie before him.

Share your favorite, thought-provoking shows in the comments section below!

Lisha Rabeje

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg '21. Psychology / Education.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.