Culture > News

Rihanna Retaliates Against Trump Using Her Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Recently, Rihanna has learned through Twitter that her hit song “Don’t Stop the Music” was being used at a Trump rally in Chattanooga, Tennessee this November. After Washington Post reporter, Philip Rucker, tweeted, “It’s been said a million times, but here’s a million and one — Trump’s rallies are unlike anything else in politics. Currently, Rihanna’s ‘Don’t Stop the Music’ is blaring in Chattanooga as aides toss free Trump T-shirts into the crowd, like a ball game. Everyone’s loving it,” Rihanna showed her dislike for Trump.

Her legal team has sent Trump a cease-and-desist letter; they wrote in a statement “It has come to our attention that President Trump has utilized [Rihanna’s] musical compositions and master recordings, including her hit track ‘Don’t Stop the Music,’ in connection with a number of political events held across the United States.” Since then, it has become public knowledge that Rihanna never provided her consent for Trump to use her music at his rallies. The use of her music at these rallies insinuates that Rihanna supports and endorses the president, and that is not the case at all, considering that she has shown her support for the Democratic candidate in Florida, Andrew Gillum.

The pop singer is not alone in sending legal warnings to Trump for misuse of their music. Pharrell Williams also sent the president a legal letter after the song “Happy” was used at an event in Indiana hours after the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting. His attorney wrote, “There was nothing ‘happy’ about the tragedy inflicted upon our country on Saturday and no permission was granted for your use of this song for this purpose.” Steven Tyler has also spoken out about the misuse of his music at Trump rallies.

Trump has been in hot water and will continue to be if he continues to use songs without the permission of artists.