Put Down the Pepper Spray: Safe Sound is Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Everyone wants to feel safe on their own college campus. A popular self-defense tool is pepper spray. However, it is forbidden on some college campuses. In many states, a student needs to be 18 years old to even buy or use pepper spray. Even though pepper spray is very effective in disabling an attacker, it can be sometimes be ineffective or harm the person who is spraying it. In fact, a Gallup poll done in 2007 revealed that only 14% of Americans actually carry pepper spray.

The Safe Sound Personal Alarm is a 125 dB ear-piercing panic alarm that startles and scares away attackers. This has come to be known as the perfect defense mechanism to prevent kidnapping and abductions of young children and teenagers. All you have to do is pull the pin and this ear-piercing alarm will activate for up to a half hour of continuous sound and all you have to do is put the pin back in to stop the alarm.

Luckily, it can be used over again and easily attaches to keys, purses, backpacks, or belts. Senior men and women have found use in this alert device to call for help in case of falling. The police have said that this device is the most effective way to protect you and your loved ones against an attacker.  This is device is small and can be concealed easily. There have been several in-depth statistical analyses have determined that carrying a personal safety device is an effective method of ensuring personal safety. Creating an auditory disturbance could not only scare away the attacker, but also alert those nearby so you can get the help you need. Dawid Skalkowski, a rising junior at George Washington University, said in a review that the device provides assurance help can quickly be on the way.  “People put alarms on their homes and cars, but not themselves or their children. Why not? Life is much more valuable, I think.” This alarm has the potential to make anyone who is wary of walking home alone at night feel at ease once again.

It might be time to finally put down the pepper spray! You can purchase a pack of 3 Safe Sound Personal alarms on Amazon for only $11.99. If you’ve tried Safe Sound, let us know what you think in the comments below!

I am a junior at Muhlenberg College and play on the Women's Basketball team. I love to hang out with my friends, family, and I have a ten year old golden retriever named Jake.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.