christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Psychology Behind Social Media Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Although social media is relatively new, it has captivated the lives of billions of people, especially youth. Even though social media can be a great way to meet and connect with others, it can be detrimental to our mental health. Excessive use of social media can cause jealousy, loneliness, and an “illusion of happiness.” So then why is it so addicting?

There are several reasons. The components of social media, unpredictability and small reward cues, are said to stimulate dopamine, the “pleasure chemical” of the brain. Thus, people continue to crave more. Another way is because of “self-referencing” which is thinking about oneself. “Self-referencing” is a survival instinct that is important in a plethora of ways. In fact, 30-40% of everything we say is about ourselves. However, in social media posts, this percentage increases to a whopping 80%. So, social media triggers this instinct, which makes social media more enticing. Social validation is also a key attribution to social media addiction. Getting a “like” on Facebook or Instagram makes anyone feel good, so we continue to seek that pleasurable feeling when we post more.

Danah Boyd, a Microsoft Researcher, actually makes an interesting point by saying, “Most teens aren’t addicted to social media; if anything, they’re addicted to each other” (Huffington Post). This brings up a good discussion of what teens are actually obsessed with. The true obsession comes from the desire to view others. The main reason for this is because people love to compare themselves to their peers. They want to see what other people are doing. They might feel like something is lacking in their own lives, so they feel the need to look at other people’s through social media. This is also known as FOMO or “Fear of Missing Out” which is the anxiety that comes from not being somewhere where exciting things might be happening. By using social media excessively, we see what others are doing. When we aren’t at that fun party or that exciting event, we experience FOMO. Eventually, we come obsessed with the notion that more exciting things are happening without us.

Although social media addiction isn’t considered serious, the removal of it can create some withdrawal symptoms. Social media withdrawal does not produce biological withdrawal symptoms as drug addiction does, but it can still create some unpleasant psychological symptoms. These symptoms include boredom, anxiousness, restlessness, and feeling like you’re missing out on things. Regardless, social media addiction is a legitimate concern. That’s why everyone could benefit from taking a social media break. Of course, cutting it out entirely is unrealistic and necessary. But taking small steps to not rely on social media will be beneficial for not only your mental health but your entire life.

Emily Garber

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg College Content Editor