mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Pipe Bombs Sent to Democratic Reps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

In just days before this year’s midterm elections, news outlets have reported packages of bombs being addressed and shipped to some of the country’s most prominent democratic representatives including the former CIA director, John Brennan, and other critics of President Donald Trump. Fortunately, none of the many pipe bombs that were shipped ever detonated or reached their intended targets. In the midst of post-election trepidation, authorities have closed in on a suspect, 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc who was tracked down by the FBI from a trail of forensic and digital evidence left from making these pipe bombs.

Over the past few days, investigators have also been monitoring his social media profiles, uncovering some unsettling, anti-semitic posts permeated with online conspiracy theories and opinions of white supremacy.

As the FBI continues to further their investigations, Americans have been questioning how President Donald Trump’s rhetoric on the subject matter may or may not be connected to the incident. Given the evidence that is presented from Sayoc’s social media posts, there is no doubt that he embraced white supremacist views and admired many of President Trump’s political agendas.

After his speech at a Department of Health and Human Services building in Washington, citizens were questioning President Trump’s intentness towards the incident when he failed to address the packages during his remarks about a drug plan. However, other Americans, including the President himself, have placed the blame on ‘dishonest’ mainstream media outlets, fueling the anger and destructive behaviors of people by plastering news stories that evoke political violence.

If Sayoc is convicted, he can be faced with up to five criminal charges and could receive up to 48 years in prison. However, Sayoc’s lawyer told CNN’s Jake Tapper that his client would plead not guilty and that “there is no reason to plead any other way.” It is only expected that our judicial system brings justice to people affected by this incident and prosecute those who are responsible. Regardless of opinion for causation, it can be agreed from both political perspectives that we are grateful for the bombs failing to reach or harm their intended targets.

Caitlin Burns

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg Marketing and Publicity Director Business Marketing and Dance double major