The Origin Story of ‘Women’s History Month’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Women’s History Month began on March 1st and ends on March 31st. It is a time to reflect on the women that have come before us and their contributions to major events in history. 

This annual celebration began around the late 1970’s-early 1980’s. Up until around 1970, there was virtually no record of women in US and world history textbooks. Classes were being taught in such a way that men practically dominated all of society; it seemed as though they had discovered everything on the planet.

To address this, the Education Task Force of the Sonoma County (California) Commission on the Status of Women decided to implement a “Women’s History Week” celebration in 1978.  March 8th was chosen as the main day of the celebration. The activities planned for this whole week were met with a great response, and soon, dozens of schools were doing the same thing. Finally, in 1980, the movement came into the hands of President Carter. He declared the week of March 8th as National Women’s History Week. 

By 1986, 14 states had named March as Women’s History Month. Since each state was declaring this, Congress finally named March the official month of this celebration in 1987. 

Women have made progress on equality over the past few decades, and we still have a long way to go, but we can thank the incredible people who have come before us and surround us today for where we are now. This is a time to thank all of the inspiring women in your life for making a difference.

Sources:

http://www.nwhp.org/womens-history-month/womens-history-month-history/

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.