nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The NYFW Muse Everyone Is Talking About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

You may recognize her as one of the faces of Rihanna’s infamous beauty line, Fenty Beauty, where she became infamous for many of her physical features like her gapped-teeth and shaved head to compliment her dauntless attitude. Simone Thompson, better known as Slick Woods, recently made headlines this past week for walking the runway in Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty show at “New York Fashion Week” while supposedly going into labor just moments after the show.

The model took to Instagram on Friday to post a photo of herself posed in a set of black lingerie while holding her ‘baby-bump’ following with a caption that confirms her giving birth to her son, Saphir, just fourteen hours after the show. Following her walk on the runway, Woods was treated by a team of paramedics who were already backstage prior to the start of the show.

Rihanna gave a statement to E-News editors following what might be one of the most infamous moments from the NYFW runway show, stating that, “I’m never going to tell a woman she can’t have a job with me because I can’t have a pregnant lady [modeling] lingerie or makeup. I’ll always celebrate women in all of their journeys.”  Both fans and critics praised the artist for fostering diversity at her shows, including models of all skin colors and body types.

Several news outlets reported that Rihanna assured that medical attention would be accessible to the two pregnant models that walked during her show. Media platforms have also stated that Rihanna’s team made plans with the officials of New York Fashion Week in order to ensure that Slick Woods and Janina Thompson would model for the show. Woods has stated that she is beyond grateful for the support she has received from both Rihanna and the Fenty Beauty team.

Caitlin Burns

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg Marketing and Publicity Director Business Marketing and Dance double major