Style

New Met Gala Theme: “Camp: Notes on Fashion”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

From punk chaos to cubism, from China to technology, the Met Gala’s wide range of themes have stunned generations. The Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York has been the biggest fashion fundraising event for decades. The affair was first held in 1948 to encourage donations from the upper class of New York. The Gala has become an occasion for people of all fields from fashion, film, and music to gather and raise money.

This year, the Met Gala’s theme will be “Camp: Notes on Fashion”. Camp refers to the supporters of a political party or doctrine. This theme is based on a 1964 essay entitled Notes on ‘Camp’, written by Susan Sontag, an American writer and filmmaker. 

The theme was put in place because of its political relation to our current stance as a country. It was said that it would have “a lot of cultural resonance.” Sontag explained camp to be “love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration…style at the expense of content….” This statement appears to flow well with our political situation.

This year’s co-chairs are Harry Styles (musician), Lady Gaga (musician and actress), Alessandro Michele (Gucci’s creative director), Serena Williams (tennis player), and Anna Wintour (U.S. Vogue’s editor-in-chief).

The Gala will take place on May 6th this year. It always occurs on the first Monday of May. Team Vogue will begin reporting outfit details at 7 pm local time.