Netflix Original, “On My Block,” is Astonishing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

**Spoilers Ahead**

Once again, Netflix has provided us with unbelievably incredible content. On My Block is a Netflix Original that aired on March 16, 2018. It was co-created by Jeremy Haft, Eddie Gonzalez, and creator of MTV’s Awkward, Lauren Lungerich. On My Block is a coming-of-age dramedy that follows the lives of four teenagers as they begin their freshman year of high school. It also highlights their journey as they guide their way through the inner city of South Los Angeles.

Now, why is On My Block so great? It is riveting and full of emotion.

The main storyline follows Monse Finnie (Sierra Capri), a strong-willed Afro-latina and her squad: Ruby Martinez (Jason Genao), an intelligent teen who often serves as the groups inner voice, Jamal Turner (Brett Gray), a witty and driven teen who is willing to anything to find a hidden treasure surrounding RollerWorld, and Cesar Diaz (Diego Tinoco), a bright young man full of many aspirations that is trapped into gang life after his older brother is released from prison. After “Spooky” (Julio Macias), Cesar’s brother, is released early from prison, he persuades Cesar to join his gang, the Santos. This is a huge revelation, as Cesar thought that he could get through high school by only being associated with the gang rather than joining it. He was hesitant to join due to his dream to attend college. However, his plans are quickly ruined. After he reveals this devastating news to his friends, they all try to come up with ways to protect him and keep him from the gang. When Monse, his best friend who he later develops feeling for, begs him to leave the gang, he explains that “this life is [his] destiny, [his] family crest is, and will always be a gang sign.” Cesar’s friends then take on the challenge to help save him, which leads them to trouble

The cast of On My Block each have a unique personality that builds their character, and allows us to follow each character’s struggle. Many of these hardships are ones which many teenagers face through throughout their lives, whether it be family struggles or learning to accept oneself and establishing one’s own identity.

This show is also so astonishing because the cast consists of all people of color, including an Afro-Latina, all of whom are often underrepresented in the media. It’s wonderful to see that Netflix is taking steps to create content that contain more diversity within the cast. The Netflix Original also insures the avoidance of stereotypes. For example, gangs aren’t portrayed as villainous or in a negative manner, but rather as an integral part of the community.

Now, before I spoil any more squad secrets, go ahead and watch On My Block! It truly is a binge-worthy series, and it it’ll definitely have you wanting for more!

Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.