This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

It’s the movie that made people wearing pink on Wednesdays a known thing. A movie that is so quotable that even if you haven’t seen it, you will likely still know what it is. No, I’m not talking about Legally Blonde, I am referring to Mean Girls. A 2004 movie classic and a comedic piece created by comedian, Tina Fey, with actresses that now have built careers for themselves by being known for their roles in this flick, such as Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, and Amanda Seyfried. 

The movie is about a girl, Cady Heron, who moves from Africa to attend public school for the first time. She encounters two people, Janis and Damian, who quickly become her friends and show her the ins and outs of high school. They especially make her aware of a group of popular girls called the “Plastics”. She joins the group to determine as to why they are the most feared group of people in the school. When realizing that the main plastic, Regina George, can be a bitch, she decides to devise a plan to destroy the group. Yet, this plan backfires as the popularity boosts her ego only for chaos to ensue.

The reason why October 3rd is recognized as National Mean Girls Day is that the guy who Cady’s crushing on throughout the movie asks her what day it is! Of course, she responds with the infamous answer, “It’s October 3rd”. Beyond this line, people show their support for this day, as they can relate to the movie in many ways. For example, one can appreciate that it brings people together. This worldwide recognized day actually fell on Wednesday this year, and fans went wild! Of course, many of us wore pink! Mean Girls, which has now been adapted into Broadway, celebrated its fan base by having a celebratory free performance for it’s fans.

So whether you took this October 3rd to wear pink, post gifs and memes of the movie, this day really proves how much a movie and social media itself can have a lasting impact on people. It’s astonishing how fans can universally recognize this particular movie even after so many years! I hope this was a fetch National Mean Girls Day!

Orli Segall

Muhlenberg '20

Im a junior at Muhlenberg College. My major is media and communications. I really have a big interest in everything beauty and fashion. I love to read and in my free time i like to hang out with friends and family.
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!