nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Nail Your Next Interview with These Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Preparing for an interview may be nerve-wracking, but it doesn’t have to be! Check out these four quick tips and get ready to nail your next interview!

Research!

Take some time to research the company you are applying for prior to your interview! Check out their website in case your interviewer asks specific questions about the company, and review the job posting to know what the company is seeking for in a potential employee. This will also allow you to prepare a couple of questions for your interviewer to see if it really is the right fit for you.

Pick a Power Outfit

Dressing for success is key! Wear something you’re comfortable in, as well as something that will leave a lasting impression on your potential interviewer. Go with your favorite pair of black slacks and pair it with a cute halter and a blazer for a formal look, or a sweater set for a business casual look. For men, pair your favorite suit and button down with a statement tie (solid colors, preferably) to exude a sense of sophistication and style. As for personal grooming, make sure to brush your teeth, comb your hair, and wear deodorant. If you’re ever unsure on how to dress, it’s always best to be overdressed than underdressed!

Power Pose

Social Psychologist Amy Cuddy suggested that “commanding a powerful stance [can] make ourselves feel more powerful.” Cuddy’s research concluded that engaging in a power pose prior to an interview “demonstrated an increase in testosterone and a decrease in cortisol,” increasing the feelings of power. So, if you ever find yourself with two minutes to spare, put on your best Superman pose and rock your next interview!

Make a Great First Impression

A great first impression not only sets the tone of your interview but also determines whether you have a shot at getting hired! Psychology suggests that we can conclude “decisions about people seconds to minutes of first seeing them,” so be aware of how you present yourself to your interviewer. Shake your interviewer’s hand firmly, be enthusiastic, and smile– it definitely goes a long way.

Lisha Rabeje

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg '21. Psychology / Education.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.