This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

One of the most frequently asked questions every Muhlenberg student is asked is “Why did you choose Muhlenberg?”  As a freshman, I get asked this question even more. Well, the truth is, I did not want to choose Muhlenberg.  Initially, because my father is alum, I thought I might take a different path.  However, after visiting the campus and meeting the students, I knew that Muhlenberg would be my first and only choice.  

Muhlenberg is only ten minutes away from my home, which was one of the main reasons I did not think that Muhlenberg was even an option. As is the case with most high school juniors and seniors, I wanted college to be a chance to get away from home. However, choosing Muhlenberg was the best decision I have ever made.  Because I am so close, I can go home whenever I want (this is especially nice when I run out of clean clothes), but, when I want it to, Muhlenberg can give me the distance I need.  I don’t ever have to go home if I don’t want to.  

I knew that going to a big state school was not going to be the best environment for me to be successful.  Muhlenberg is a small liberal arts college with small classes. This gives me an opportunity to have a great relationship with each of my professors.  Having personal relationships is my gateway into getting all of the help I need to be successful.  

Many students in their first year may question their decision after arriving on campus.  The transition to college can be stressful and seem overwhelming.  There are many speed bumps and challenges during the first few months. I also struggled making the adjustment to college life.  However, as I approach the last month of my first semester, I know that I made the right choice coming to “The Berg.”

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.