More Than Clothes: Dress the Part

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

We are at that age where we have to think about our futures. We need to decide on a career path or if we want to go to graduate school, or law or medical school. It is both exciting and frightening that interview season is just around the corner.

It’s important to be prepared for your various interviews and that includes having a stylish, yet appropriate outfit. My first tip to making a good first impression would be: don’t over-think your outfit. Do not try and be anyone else but yourself. Since we are in fall, all you need is a light blazer, skirt (make sure to keep it at a conservative length), and boots.

You can also add a personal twist to your interview style. My professional look is slacks, a bright belt (a little color doesn’t hurt), a black turtleneck sweater, black and white loafers, and a blazer. In this outfit I feel comfy, sleek, stylish and professional. It makes me feel good while still keeping it modest.

You could also throw on a jumpsuit. Not the kind of jumpsuit-romper you’d wear in the summer, but one that has pants attached to it. For example, you can wear a long jumpsuit that has a simple pattern and put a sweater over it. I would wear that with booties, or loafers. It’s best not to wear sneakers.

If you are more of a pants and shirt person, then I suggest pants that show off your figure (just a little), with a white button down shirt tucked in. Then, try pairing that with a necklace and a light jacket or sweater with it.

If you are nervous about your interviews, you can try setting yourself at ease by creating a stylish look. With the right outfit, you will make a good impression and be one step closer to nailing it. You can do it, girl!

My name is Alison and I currently go to Muhlenberg College. I study Theatre but also have an eye for fashion. My style is a huge part of who I am. I not only express myself on stage, but express myself with the my wardrobe. Owning your own style and vibe is important. Writing for HerCampus is also a privilege for me because now I can write about fashion, give advice, and encourage my readers to own who they are with the clothes they wear. I also keep people updated on my outfits and what i wear that gets me through college! I encourage people to follow me on my instgram almaybaum_ and my Visco!
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.