Culture > News

Melissa Benoist Shares Her Story on Being a Survivor of Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

On November 27th, Melissa Benoist shared her story of being a survivor of domestic violence on an IGTV. Benoist’s fourteen-minute IGTV “Life Isn’t Always What it Seems” revealed the emotional story of abuse from her previous relationship, what she has done to get out of it, and how she moved forward. She stated that there were many red flags, such as jealousy and anger,  that led to the abuse. When things got violent, she thought that she could be someone to help him. She cared about him and did not want to hurt him. “The moment that made her realize she had to do something was when he threw an iPhone at her face that led to her getting a serious eye injury.” Benoist shared how hard it was for her to make the decision to walk away, but she knew “[she did] not deserve this.” 

After sharing her video, Benoist shared a post thanking everyone for watching and showed her support for others who may be experiencing a similar situation. She said that she hoped  to help prevent others from experiencing the same thing by sharing her story. Benoist also shared sources for others who needed help and for those who wanted to learn more. 

Domestic violence, or intimate partner violence, happens everyday in relationships and families where there is someone who believes they have power over the other. This feeling of thinking someone has power or control over someone often leads to abusive behavior. 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience some sort of intimate partner violence. Written below are resources available for those seeking help: 

Resources:

The Domestic Violence hotline – 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)  

Futureswithoutviolence.org

Local: 

Turning Point of Lehigh Valley, Inc.

444 E Susquehanna St, Allentown, PA 18103

(610)-797-0530

Hi, my name is Veronica Pasko and I am a sophomore at Muhlenberg College. I am studying Media and Communications and also minoring in Business Administration.
Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg