Culture > News

The March for Our Lives is Over. What’s Next?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

More than a week and a half has passed since the monumental March For Our Lives in Washington D.C. Student activists from Parkland and all across the United States expressed their grief and discontent by the inaction of politicians regarding gun control. Hundreds of thousands of people rallied on the streets of Washington to protest the lack of gun control and to march in solidarity for those who are affected by senseless gun violence across the nation. 

Parkland activists David Hogg, Cameron Kasky and Jaclyn Corin, took center stage with their rallying cries to end gun violence in honor of their departed classmates, along with Edna Chavez, who led a tearful chant of her brother’s name in his remembrance, and Naomi Wadler, who spoke in place of African-American women “whose stories don’t make the front page of every national newspapers.”  Emma Gonzales closed the march with a powerful speech that lasted for a total of 6 minutes and 20 seconds to show how long it took the Nikolas Cruz to murder her schoolmates. 

The valiant efforts of these student activists would go to waste if we ourselves don’t maintain the momentum. “Our target is the November elections, and we know we definitely have to keep pushing forward to then,” said Jaclyn Corin in an interview with USA Today. “This whole thing has taken off into a much bigger thing. We are starting a non-profit and want to continue to advocate for gun control, reforms and voter education.” In the meantime, it’s up to us continue the fight by continuing the conversation at a local level and to pressure lawmakers to keep our best interests in mind.

Call your Representatives.

Dial (202)-224-3121 and request to speak with your state representative to let them know that you have had enough. Americans for Responsible Solutions have provided a script to follow when contacting your representatives:

Hi, my name is [Your Name] and I’m a constituent of [Representative Name] calling from [Your City/Town]. I’m calling about the gun lobby’s attempts to push its dangerous agenda through Congress. This includes the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, a bill that would severely threaten public safety and put law enforcement at risk. In light of the recent mass shootings, we need [Representative Name] to find the courage to stand up to the gun lobby and do something to make our communities safer from gun violence.

What is [Representative Name’s] position on this dangerous bill?

Leah Millis / Reuters (atlantic.com)

Register to vote.

The 2018 Midterm Election is rapidly approaching, and the most effective way for students and activists alike to have their voice heard is through the ballots.  This election is critical in determining whether Republicans will hold the majority in both the House and Senate, which would make every single vote count. “We are going to make this the voting issue,” said David Hogg at the March for Our Lives on March 24th. “We are going to take this to every election, to every state, in every city. We are going to make sure the best people get in our elections to run, not as politicians, but as Americans. Because this — this is not cutting it.”

For more information on voting rules and registration, visit usa.gov/register-to-vote

Educate yourself.

The best tool to have in the fight to end gun violence is through knowledge. Educate yourself on the history of gun control (or lack of) in the United States, make yourself aware of NRA spin tactics amid the gun control debate and keep yourself updated on news regarding gun legislation. Take it a step further and educate others around you by sharing articles on social media and hold conversations that challenge your ideas to broaden your worldview. After all, knowledge is power.

Photograph by Mark Peterson (newyorker.com)

Sources:

The 6 Most Memorable Speeches at the March for Our Lives in D.C.Washington Post

March for Our Lives Highlights: Students Protesting Guns Say ‘Enough Is Enough’.” The New York Times

The Story Behind 11-Year Old Naomi Wadler and her March for Our Lives Speech.Washington Post

What’s Next for the March for Our Lives Movement?” abcnews.go.com

Thousands of Students Staged a Walkout and Marched Across the US. What’s Next?” USAToday

Lisha Rabeje

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg '21. Psychology / Education.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.