Make Thanksgiving a Little Sweeter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Ah! Thanksgiving! The family has finally arrived around 5:30, and oh do you wish you could be burrowed upstairs in your bedroom. Unfortunately, it is on display as part of the tour mom has decided to give to everyone  (she made some renovations to the molding you know). Good, old Mommy. With a glass of wine in hand (or grape juice if you are under twenty-one) you nod and smile as your grandma pesters you with questions. “How is college?” “Have you made a lot of friends?” “Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?” “What are you planning on doing after graduation?” Oh, sweet granny. If there were more wine, you’d probably drink the rest to numb the stress rising from your stomach.

Now is time for the main attraction. The feast of failure. You know that those photos your friends post on social media of their smiling families are mostly are facade. No one is that happy to get together with distant relatives. Why is it called the feast of failure you ask? It has nothing to do with the food. In fact, the food is the one good part of the night. You plan on stuffing your face with stuffing, turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, green beans, etc. This title has been given because of the talk that circulates around the table. Listen as your aunt makes a provocative comment about politics, or your cousin gets into a feud with your father, a doctor, about medical practices. And let’s not forget the best of them all, someone bringing up about an uncomfortable piece of gossip about a relative that was unable to make it to Thanksgiving dinner.

What do you do to make this holiday a little sweeter?

Order some “Salt & Straw” ice cream.

What does ice cream have to do with this holiday? During November, this company creates various ice creams in the form of Thanksgiving treats. The best part? All five pints can be shipped for $65 (depending on what state you live), and it includes shipping and special freeze bags to keep these scrumptious desserts chilled. Banish your aunt’s political rant with the taste of “sweet potato casserole” ice cream, which comes with a hint of maple pecan. Banish the medical feud with scrumptious “buttered mashed potatoes with gravy” ice cream. Avoid talking about the absent relative with a scoop of “apple cranberry stuffing.”

Other flavors include “salted caramel Thanksgiving turkey” and “spiced goat cheese & pumpkin pie.” Is your mouth watering yet? Order your sweet treats, and be the hero of the holiday. No, “Salt & Straw” is not paying me to endorse their products. I just really like desserts.

I hope everyone has a happy and (somewhat) healthy Thanksgiving. Remember to stay well rested, because you’ve just volunteered to go black Friday shopping with your best friend from home at the crack of dawn.

Alexandra Liebman is a senior at Muhlenberg College, and is currently finishing up her last semester. She is an English major, who loves all thing poetry and literature. In addition to her efforts on Her Campus, Alexandra is on the Publicity and Marketing Chair of her college's chapter of Challah for Hunger, and recently became a campus trendsetter for Her Campus.. When not writing articles or studying, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, hanging with her friends, and drinking too much caffeine. Fun fact: She participated in the Disney College program Spring '18 for six months!
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.